weird XP hang-up, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiseen

Okay, I've been having this problem recently... and I have no clue what's causing it. Let me start at the beginning.

I had 2 80gb HDs die on this machine recently... corrupt MFT. they were holding data and i was sad, but i got over it, my machine still worked. i dont know why they went but thats a whole nother biscuit.

a little while later, i installed StyleXP to jazz up my machine, found it was crap and ditched it... I was having a problem with it where it would run the screen-saver and that would take up 50% of my CPU in the background, making my computer v. slow. I uninstalled it and instead installed the uxtheme.dll hack. im not using a special theme now, just windows classic, to troubleshoot, but it hasnt fixed it.

(here's what i think did it) i used some registry hack... but i cant remember what i modified. It was a hack that was supposed to allocate files that were being installed on the hd in a fashion that was optimized/ meant you got less fragmentation. im not sure where i saw it and im not sure what key i modified, but i think this may be the source of my problem.

and of course, my problem:

windows hangs (nothing new) but it hangs doing weird things, mostly running exe's. i've got a hang using bryce, i've got a hang using solidworks (specifically running analysis in cosmos), i've got a hang trying to run qemu to run embedded damn small inux, but it doesnt hang when i play games. madden 07, sims 2, worms 4, so far everything i've tried is fine, as long as i dont alt-tab out and try and do somthing like photoshop or bryce.

but here's the weird bit. when it's hanging, i can use the windwos+d to show desktop, and i can ctrl-alt-del to bring up taskmgr, but they dont do anything. it wont focus on them and the mouse wont click. often the mouse will show the hourglass, sometimes it will come off it.

ALSO, the sleep key works. i can put my computer to sleep and it will wake up with teh same problems. i can hit the power button and it will start to shut down, but sometimes it wont make it. i can put it to sleep when its shutting down, and i think one time i was able to fix it in this way, except all the programs that were closed while it was shutting down were closed so it wasnt really fixed.

i would like help in 2 places.... did i screw it up with my reg hack? what did i change, so that i can try changing it back,
also, what is goign on? how can i fix these hangs/my machine other than hard resetting the machine? this is getting annoying as many programs that are important are causing these hangs.

thank you very much for your help

cheer

2 things.

1. go to start,run, then type msconfig, then startup tab. Here disable any programs you dont need from starting up. Then restart comp.

2. go to start, run then type sfc /scannow, then put xp cd in. This will scan important parts of your system and reinstall them if it needs to.

thank you, i am doing the scan now. i always keep an eye on my startup programs, and i can't see anything that would be causing issues, basically, there's nothing new on the list. i really hope this works!!!

cheers

these solutions have not fixed my problem. i can still replicate the hang in multiple ways.... i am still in need of help

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back