TechSpot

Western Digital enters consumer SSD market

By Jos
Mar 3, 2010
  1. If you needed more proof that solid-state drives are the future of computer storage, today, Western Digital, one of the largest traditional hard disk drives manufacturers has jumped with both feet into the market. Although the company already listed a SiliconDrive SSD in its portfolio, following the acquisition of SiliconSystems last year, the new SiliconEdge Blue represents their very first consumer-grade offering and also their first in-house design.

Read the whole story

2. CodePhoeniX

CodePhoeniX TS Rookie Posts: 36

newegg already has them for sale

3. Skout

Skout TS Rookie

Newegg's price is also lower that what's shown here - $249.99, $449.99, and $799.99 respectively. Not exactly at prices for "consumer grade" yet, if you ask me - especially when they don't outperform cheaper products.

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

About time WD came up with something on the SSD front... but those specs and prices are far from impressive.

5. Kovach

Kovach TS Rookie Posts: 44

They just made a nice move with making the SSD with 256 GB capacities. They will gain a lot of costumers, and at the end, they are good positioned at the market at the moment.

6. kohtachi

kohtachi TS Rookie

It will be nice if they offered a 5 year warranty on there ssd like they do for there ata hard drives.

7. fref

fref TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

Too bad the performance isn't on the same level as some competitors. I really like WD's products, but I wouldn't buy a slower, more expensive product just because it's from WD.

8. waterytowers

waterytowers TS Rookie Posts: 85

Can someone please tell all these manufacturers to start reducing the price. New drives keep coming out but none are in an affordable range. Sorry but for me I have only just reached the right size drive for my needs, where I have been unable to fill the drive, and that size is 500GB. I doubt I will be upgrading for at least another 5 years.

9. ToastOz

ToastOz TS Rookie Posts: 59

SSD's are a huge market and WD entering that market just shows that not only is it profitable but if they can dominate and bring down the price/performance ratio of SSD's much like what they have done with Mechanical HDD's It's Win/win for everyone.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.