TechSpot

Western Digital intros SiliconDrive III range of SSDs

By Jos
Jun 16, 2009
  1. Following the acquisition of SiliconSystems earlier this year, Western Digital is taking its first steps into the SSD market announcing the SiliconDrive III product range. The drives are naturally based on SiliconSystems’ technology and target the same communications, embedded computing, data center, medical, military and aerospace markets.

Read the whole story

2. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

I'm pushing over 200MB/s read and over 150MB/s write with my OCZ Vertex. Most other SSD's seem no faster or even slower than standard hard drives in read/write performance? Looks like OCZ is leading the way forward. Hopefully these other SSD makers wake up.

3. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

It's not just about Read & Write Speeds. For one, no laptop hard drive I know of gives you 100 MB/s Read speed and 80 MB/s Write. Not sure if that Sequential or Random. Not exactly sure of the speed of modern 7200 RPM's 3.5" hard drives nowadays but even IF they are as fast as these SSD's that are being offered by WD, the fact that their latency is extremely low more than makes up for the fact that the Average Read & Write speeds isn't blazing fast. MOST people just want to "feel" the speed, in which case, average SSD's such as these are great for a lower price. Not sure what their price is yet though.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.