Western Digital or Seagate?

WESTERN DIGITAL or SEAGATE?

• SEAGATE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi,
I want to buy a new hard disk.
While I was searching I found two identical hard drives, but one was WESTERN DIGITAL and the other one was SEAGATE.

What do you think which one is better (or more reliable)?

Even though I personally use Seagate, I would vote for either one. I've had equally good and bad luck with all drive manufacturers.

With only those two options, anyone casting a vote would be seen as biased (IMO).

Its not really going to matter honestly as both do an excellent job in the HDD market in terms of reliability and performance. I know plenty of friends who prefer the Western Digital Black drives and the same number have Seagate barracuda drives. I would say it would just come down to price and whichever you can get at a better price I would go for.

Look at whichever has the longest warranty. Get that one. Unless there is a big* price difference.

*how much this is depends on what size drive you are talking and what your budgetary considerations are.

Western Digital, but remember to buy the correct line in terms of what you are gonna do with the HDD. I had pretty bad experiences with Seagate HDD.

Trying to use an regular desktop drive to record IP cameras is gonna break the drive in a short time.

Hi,
I want to buy a new hard disk.
While I was searching I found two identical hard drives, but one was WESTERN DIGITAL and the other one was SEAGATE.

What do you think which one is better (or more reliable)?
You have to be talking in terms of, "connectivity and capacity", right?

I've never broken a WD drive. But then again, I've never broken a Seagate either.

Seagate had a disastrous run of high capacity HDDs a couple of years back, and their reputation never fully recovered. I bought a 750GB drive from the exact same period, (different serial # & sequence though), and had zero problems with it.

It would have been nice if you would have taken the time to share the capacity of the HDDs in question. I've experienced differences at different capacities,and neither brand was always the best.

Although, when I have the money, (and when they're on sale), I go with the WD "Caviar Black", and WD "Velociraptor", series.

The V-rap for systems drives, and the blacks for storage.

I've found, (this was years ago), that the single platter Seagate 320GBs, were faster than the multi platter 250 WD "Caviar Blue" drives, at least as far as "The Windows Experience Index", was concerned.

The WD "Velociraptor" seems to be faster for smaller size read write operations, and about the same as the WD "Black" for multi GB operations. WEI scores them the same. Go figure.

The Seagate drives, (to me at least), seem a touch quieter than WD.

Back