TechSpot

What causes a cpu to run at 100%

By kesler
Jan 3, 2008
  1. My cpu runs at 100%. It runs well. Will this hurt it?

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

Your CPU is designed to run at 100% so running it at that pace shouldn't hurt it. What program are you running to make your CPU work that hard?

3. Eddie_42

Eddie_42 TS Rookie Posts: 173

it not entirely bad, however they do have a 'life' and working it that hard will shorten it dramatically. What CPU are you running, and like cinders asked, what are you doing that taxes it so hard?

4. ShipMaster

ShipMaster TS Rookie Posts: 70

How many processes are you running?

5. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

I think what Eddie and I are trying to figure out is does your processor run at 100% all the time. If it does you may have a malware infection or a glitch of some sort, and that would need to be taken care of to protect your privacy and financial health and/or to free up your computer to work on those programs you'd normally run. I've had computers run at 100% for months at a time with no ill effects, but I had Seti@home in place to use all of the processors free compute cycles to look for radio signals from extra terrestrials, so a processor running at 100% was normal for those computers.

6. kesler

kesler TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 54

It is a brand new amd a/64 le1600 am2 low wattage 45 watts. Thers are only a few programs running avgspyware zonealarm, however it was doing this before I installed them. The temps are good.

7. kesler

New amd athlon 64 le1600 45wtt Running 100%

New amd athlon 64 le1600 45wtt Running 100%

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

9. kesler

Thanks, I will get rid of the only programs on it. It is not running slow at all.

10. kesler

CPU running 100% question

I went in to task manager and the only cpu usage was system, I ended it and now the cpu is fine and the only big usage running is system idle. What is the reason for this? If I do a restart I have to go in and end system again to get the cpu usage correct.

11. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 302

"System Idle" in the task manager is fine. It measures the amount % of available CPU processing power.
    "System" however is actual CPU usage and slows down the machine when it has a high reading.

12. kesler

So where does system come from? When it is active is when my cpu shows 100% usage and when I end it my cpu usage is good.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.