What causes forward slashes ///////// to auto fill?

learninmypc

I'm simply trying to get this laptop to function somewhat normally. I know its past its prime, pull date, Broni says there are no infections. I launch IE 8 & the lower right search bar auto fills with /////////////. I also removed both home pages in IE, it opens to about blank.I installed Google Chrome but in trying to do anything, it to auto fills with //////////
Its a Vista Home Premium 32 bit. ANY help is appreciated. I did try to install XP Home on it but that didn't work. I have 2000, W7, W7 ultimate w/sp2 ( on CD).
I'm even willing to reset it to factory setting if need be, :) :) TIA :)

Last edited:
Triple click to Select ALL and just type whatever you please - - aka, ignore the visualization

This is bizarre, I did not do as you suggested yet I am in here using it. First time it works "normal", I won't hold my breathe but thank you for your reply :)
This laptop crashed & died a few years ago. How it came back to life is beyond me. Thank you.

A long shot here but open the laptop and check the keyboard ribbon.
Make sure its not bent up or damaged.
Reinsert it boot the laptop back into windows.
If it does it again your last best bet is external keyboard.
If the problem stops with that, buy a new replacement keyboard for the laptop.
Google around and some random ebay power sellers may have it.

Funny you mentioned that, I was actually considering removing harddrive to "wash" keyboard because I think it might be the /// key could be partially sticky(ing).

Thanks, but last time I opened a laptop up, it never got back together. I think its time to put this one back in the closet . :)

Back