What DACs do you use in your set-up?

The sound cards included with modern to upper tier mobos are quite competent. So, there's no real need for an outboard DAC.

Besides, all the DACs I've seen are only 2 channel PCM stereo anyway.

If headphone volume is an issue, either buy an more efficient pair of phones, or a headphone amp.

Unless you've absolutely convinced yourself you "need" one, in which case, I can't help you.

The sound cards included with modern to upper tier mobos are quite competent. So, there's no real need for an outboard DAC.

Besides, all the DACs I've seen are only 2 channel PCM stereo anyway.

If headphone volume is an issue, either buy an more efficient pair of phones, or a headphone amp.

Unless you've absolutely convinced yourself you "need" one, in which case, I can't help you.
I have a Hi-Fi setup I use as my computer speakers and the Motherboard output produces fantastic sound. I do worry about Optical/Toslink to RCA DACs because you can hear a difference in the "cheap" ones. They're all PCM, too. Optical audio needs to die.

I have a Hi-Fi setup I use as my computer speakers and the Motherboard output produces fantastic sound. I do worry about Optical/Toslink to RCA DACs because you can hear a difference in the "cheap" ones. They're all PCM, too. Optical audio needs to die.
I have an HTPC setup, and the audio is output through the HDMI cable to my HTR - a Yamaha RX-A1050. I'd wager that it has better DACs that most of those available for PCs.

I have an HTPC setup, and the audio is output through the HDMI cable to my HTR - a Yamaha RX-A1050. I'd wager that it has better DACs that most of those available for PCs.
Well the DAC in my PC is better than the Optical to RCA DAC I bought. DACs aren't hard, expensive or complicated to make which makes it all the more puzzling why it's really a roll of the dice as to whether they're good or not. I'd wager any motherboard worth it's salt has a good built in DAC.

I have an excessively expensive Hi-Fi setup, I wouldn't cheap out on a sound card if I needed one.

A DAC for what? are we talking optical to RCA?
Even my 20 year old Pioneer 5 channel AVR cheapie has an SPDIF input. Of course it doesn't always find the beginning of a CD track, and RCA to RCA analog is a bit more pleasant.

Even my 20 year old Pioneer 5 channel AVR cheapie has an SPDIF input. Of course it doesn't always find the beginning of a CD track, and RCA to RCA analog is a bit more pleasant.
Well my 52 year old Marantz 3800 does not

Well my 52 year old Marantz 3800 does not
I'm surprised the PSU caps haven't emptied themselves out yet on that relic.
Have you tried just putting a splitter on the PC's headphone jack?
Of course that would move the EQ and volume to the PC's control.

I'm surprised the PSU caps haven't emptied themselves out yet on that relic.
Have you tried just putting a splitter on the PC's headphone jack?
Of course that would move the EQ and volume to the PC's control.
I had it recapped in 2014. And that's exactly what I do, 3.5mm to RCA right out the back of the PC.

Back