TechSpot

What do I need to put Mac OS X on a custom build?

By davisjaron
May 3, 2009
  1. I'm a big mac fan... I'm actually a certified Apple Product Professional (apple sales training basically) and I can tell you almost anything about apple computers, especially iMacs, which are my favorite. But I don't know everything, honestly.

My question, for anyone who knows, is what would I have to have, hardware wise, in order to build a computer and be able to put Mac OS X on it?

Does it require a certain type of motherboard, or is it just a hard drive requirement? I know it's possible, I just don't know what it takes, ya know?

I know this is technically an OS question, but it's about the hardware part, so I put it here in general hardware...

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,450   +324

my understanding is there's a proprietary eprom on all Macs to deter the OS
    from booting on just any hardware -- including the newest Intel chips.

at the moment I can't find the reference, but there it is for what it's worth.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

Right. So you need a custom built OS X disk, or a way to emulate the EFI. Some company sells a USB thing that you plug in and that takes care of the EFI so you can install from a retail OS X disk.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,341   +280

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.