What exactly is the attraction of online data storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

I was reading this article and thought, what makes online data storage attractive enough to make companies risk their sensitive information on servers they'll never see in person, possibly in another country? What advantage does it have over local storage?

I didn't read the link
But the main reason for online storage, is so to access your data from anywhere in the world (including an Internet Cafe')

Oh and what I meant was, you do not need to carry CD\DVDs or any Flash Drive (or even your own laptop) with you. Just find an online computer, anywhere

;)

And when your house burns down it doesn't matter how many backups you had at home, they are all gone.

I was reading this article and thought, what makes online data storage attractive enough to make companies risk their sensitive information on servers they'll never see in person, possibly in another country? What advantage does it have over local storage?
I think of online data storage as an additional safety precaution to external hard drives, etc. As I'm sure you know, external hard drives have been known to crash.

There are good reasons for online storage and there are risks, as well. If you can access your private data online with a login and password, someone else can hack in, too. My advice is to keep very personal information, especially financial-related, out of online storage.

NetCablesPlus you are aware that the term "Privacy" has changed in mind set over the last few years?
Many years ago Private Data was held in great regard, these days Privacy does not hold the same strengths (ie It's considered more secure to store information online)

If you are older, you will see the crazyness (and strangeness) of this
If you are younger, you will not know what I'm talking about!

The younger generation has been taught to openly distribute information (ie all their Data, including programs such as MS Office) online.
Let alone the mere fact that most younger generations send all their personal information online

Now that was hard to grasp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back