What happened to my computer?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsskater892

hi, my computer has been running fine for a while, but yesterday morning i went on, and now its being stupid, it wont let me play videos, or edit them because its performing so slowly. I scanned for adaware, spyware, registry, and viruses. norton found and fixed 1 virus, but that didnt do anything. I think the problem is that I tried to install roxio video wave 7, and it didnt work because of a conflict between it and my ati software, so i uninstalled the program. I also uninstalled microsoft office 2003.... if that would effect anything? im really confuseddd!!! please help me.

Specs:
XP HOME
ATHLON 64 2800+
1gb corsair ram
K8v-se deluxe (mobo)

* I am getting a new computer in about 3 months, but this still is a huge problem for me now.

thanks alot!!! -NIck

If only ur videos are being slow... then check for memory usage (although this doesnt seem to be ur case as ur specs read 1GB RAM). Doesnt seem to be any virus/trojan etc problem either.

You said you started having these problems after installing Roxio... well u may have uninstalled it but the codecs might not have been removed.

So try to remove the unnessary codecs in Device Manager>Video Codecs>Properties>Properties

Also try to remove any left over regitery file.

i found it, but i have 12 codecs in properties,how would i know which one(s) to delete??

also, ow would i remove left over registry files?

k the no. of codecs doesnt tell anything, i have about 15.

U will have to check property for each and every one, right click for properties
(like a Divx codec will show trademark for divX, nero will shows its trademark etc)

If u find one for Roxio, remove it.

Do same for registry by using regedit.exe in the run boc of star menue.

Your problems seems to be that of a codec conflict. So lets try fix that first.

Hmm, they dont have the trademarks. with some (the first 3), you can see the trademark by going to settings after going into their properties. but on the others, you cant click on the settings button. so once again... I dont know.

Attachments

• vid codecs.jpg
    vid codecs.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 5
k i just read ur post and saw the screenshot as well, thaks it was a help.

But a ques, do u have problem any specific codec or u cant play any video at all? (If its a specific codec problem like that for Divx then u might have to re-install it. I used to have problem with DivX and Elecard mpeg2 codec.)

Also in ur screenshot, u have an ATI codec and a CineForm HD VFW Codec, these r also third party codecs for windows. I know ATI codec but im not sure about Cineform one, if they r for decoding/encoding same format then u should try removing one.

And did u check the regedit.exe>HKEY_CURRENT_UER>Software for any left over registery files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back