What IDE port DVD\CD burners can I use with my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

All,

Wanted to know what DVD/CD burners I could use with my HP Pavilion a410n. I tried installing my mother's DVD burner but the system didn't recognize anything new was in it. Can I only use what HP recommends because there are cheaper and faster optical drives for IDE port. (My computer doesn't have SATA connections) Thanks everyone

First of all check if the jumper is in the right place as if you put HDD Master and DVD Drive Master the HDD will be taken primarily. So easier to do remove the jumper and let the BIOS place it itself.

First of all check if the jumper is in the right place as if you put HDD Master and DVD Drive Master the HDD will be taken primarily. So easier to do remove the jumper and let the BIOS place it itself.

I don't know what the jumper is. I unplugged the CD drive that was in the bay and plugged in the DVD writeable drive and it wasn't recognized. I didn't adjust anything else and this PC is OEM, I didn't build it myself.

The jumper is as shown on the photos below. You may remove it from the HDD and plug it to your PC without the jumper.

build_pc_xp2000_maxtor_40gb_jumper_matchup.jpg

hdd_jumper_ma.jpg

hddinstall_jump.jpg

I dunno if I want to do that, shouldn't be necessary IMO but thank you for your suggestion.

You're kidding right? Of course you have to check the position of the jumpers on the back of IDE drives. If they are positioned incorrectly according to your setup, the drive won't run right or at all.

You're kidding right? Of course you have to check the position of the jumpers on the back of IDE drives. If they are positioned incorrectly according to your setup, the drive won't run right or at all.

K, I'll try that. I noticed the piece of plastic on there, so that is probably the problem. Thing is, I want the manual eject button to match up with the front cover's plastic overlay button, so I may have to use the manufacturer's recommended drive. I'll try adjusting the jumper on this one though to see if it will work. thx

OK, I moved the jumper over to the position of the defunct CD player's jumper and now it works. Thx for the awesome tip. I suppose any IDE optical drive should work in this so I'm not stuck with the OEM one HP suggested but it would be nice if the buttons lined up with the front cover.

Yes, any IDE optical drive should work. Pick one that lines up with your cover. It's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back