What is CopyToDef-Notepad and how can I get rid of it?

By bert913
Jul 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nearly everything I do on my computer this dialog box pops up and I can’t get rid of it. I can close it but it comes right back in a few minutes.
    The heading reads: CopyToDef-Notepad. It had text in it, I deleted the text and closed it. I went into My Documents and deleted it. I even considered un-installing Notepad but apparently I can’t do that.
    I am using a COMPAQ Presario with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
  2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

Do you have 'CCleaner' installed? Try running it, make sure you have ticked the 'Temp files' box is ticked, in Windows tab. If you don't have it, it's a free download from;
    *Use it as it downloads, no need to tick all the unticked boxes.
  3. bert913

bert913 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Thanks mike1959 for trying to help.
    I installed and ran “CCleaner”, it didn’t help. It kept pestering to buy one of their programs so I uninstalled it.
  4. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,022   +51

I thought it might clear whatever was causing your notepad problem, but no.
    I have used Piriform's software since I had Win 95, but never had them push me to buy any product.. not once. I trust their products completely, very 'pro' outfit in my opinon.
  5. bert913

bert913 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Well, perhaps they are good. I probably installed it wrong. When it comes to computers I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree. I'll try it again later.
  6. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,551   +332

7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

I think this is a malware issue.