TechSpot

What is overclocking?

By foreverzero89
Mar 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. could someone please tell me what overclocking is and how it is good and/or bad and also how to do it if i wanted to. Thanks!
    Edit: i have a intel pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

Overclocking is running computer components faster than their stock speeds. If you would raise your processor's speed up to 3.4 GHz, for instance, that would be considered "overclocking." What motherboard do you have, and what cooling do you have on your processor (i.e. stock cooling, custom cooling solution, whatever)?

3. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 246

Intel D102GGC2 is the motherboard and well it is a stock emachines T5082 with a gig of extra ram, thats about it. and how would i go about "overclocking"? thanks! oh and i also have windows vista, if that helps.

4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

I hate to break the news to you...but most companies lock their BIOS so you can't overclock and then try to return it :)unch:)....

5. foreverzero89

i don't want to return it i'm simply curious. i like knowing stuff. thats why i come here :)

6. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 454

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

that's only on certain chips and production runs.

8. foreverzero89

thank you grafficks, that is exactly what was looking for.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.