What is the diffret in a video card / graphic card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having problems with video streams stopping and games stopping. I was told that I don't have a video card/ graphic card. Which should I get or both. My PC has 736 RAM. I'm thinking of gettin 2G or 1G stick. Would this help or do I need it to run a video card/ graphic card?

Thank You for your responses

thesecretaz66m

A video card and a graphic(s) card are the same thing. What you have now is an integrated graphics card. Integrated graphics cards have terrible performance. Now, we need to know whether your motherboard has a PCI-E or AGP slot. Download CPU-Z , take screenshots of the tabs called "CPU" and "Mainboard" and post them here.

They should look something like this (the information and logo will be different):
CPU.jpg
Mainboard.jpg

A Video Card plugs into the Motherboard, and you plug the Monitor into it.

There's 2 main types, AGP {older} or PCIe. Depends on your motherboard as to which is compatible with your system. They are both easy to install.

It has it's own GPU - Graphic Processing Unit, and it's own RAM, thereby freeing up a bit of your System Resources, but all the power is in the GPU.

Onboard is OK for Office type applications, and very basic Gaming - like Chicken Invaders.

Vid Cards range from basic $60 models right up to $1000. What you buy is dependant on your usage {and your bank balance!}. A lot of people {me included} go for a Mid Range Card which delivers good performance and doesn't require a 2nd Mortgage. Something like a 7600GT, X1950 etc won't cost the earth, yet has good performance.

I hope this helps {It's early morning here, need more Coffee!}

We can be of perhaps more help to you if you tell us the brand, model, OS, and age of the computer... as well as the memory type and size, and power supply, if you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back