TechSpot

what kind of PowerSupply?

By silence911
Jan 23, 2006
  1. Hi i currently have an Asus p4p800-e deluxe, 3ghz p4(overclocked to 3.6), a thermaltake bigwater cooler, 1gig rami forgot wat make, 256mb nvidia geforce 5500, 2 maxtor HD(40g and 160g), one sony DRu-810A,, couple of fans. what kind of power supply would you guys recomend me to use, how many watts? cuss i had a 650w Chiefmax power supply which blew up yesterday after i used it for only a couples of months. thank you in advance

How many watts and what brand?
    is it because i OC it 2much, if so how much should i over clock it 2? tat is safe for my PSU, wat point should i overclock it to?

Is this one ok?
    do u guys think this is enough to power my PC safely?

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

I have two systems that are running on Asus P4P800 SE boards one has a 430 watt antec true power and the other a vantec 470 watt PSU.

Personally I would recommend the Antec Neo series they are second only to PC power and cooling PSU's in performance and are a great deal cheaper. the 550 should do you just fine.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

read tom's hardware guide on power supplies... they tested and rated a bunch of them.

performance and quality vary greatly and not necessarily with price.

4. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 106

this may be of use as well. This will help you calculate your powersupply wattage needs.

It's not quite up to date in that it doesn't have the newest components but its still useful.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

5. silence911

silence911 TS Rookie Topic Starter

tat website didnt quite help because it didnt have some of the stuff that i haf in my pC

6. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 106

yeah I found the same thing. All I did was take the highest power consuming option listed when I couldn't find my own. I still came out well under what I have.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.