What OS should I use for archive server?

resu

Hi,

Just looking for some advice really and any improvements on my ideas.

we have an old server that used to be our main server until its hard drives started dropping data. the rest of the machines hardware is perfectly fine its just the hard drives that need replacing.

Since we have a new server that deals with all our current data our old one is now redundant. My plan would be to create a archive server that holds all of our old job data (around 10 years worth)
I was planning to use the old server software aswell (sbs2000). I just need some kind of OS so taht i can manage the files on screen and also share the files to various computers.
It is worth reusing SBS or can you suggest a lighter piece of software? maybe a form of linux?

im just looking for something simple and straight forward for file management. security isnt really an issue as it'll be behind various forms of hardware firewalls etc etc

thanks for your help

I would recommend any of several versions of Linux would suit you fine. All are free downloads, and you can experiment to find one you like. Mostly, they set themselves up for network sharing with next to no input from you. You could try posting in the 'alternative OS' forums for a recommendation and support (if you need it). You are looking for a file server install, not a desktop install btw.

For a pretty nominal sum, you can buy complete solutions for the task (based on Linux), but maybe you want the fun of 'rolling your own'.

As above, any of the main linux distros would be fine, as most are well supported.

If you have experience of Ubuntu I would particularly recommend Ubuntu Server, but speaking realistically, they're all very good - just depends which flavour you prefer the look and feel of. :)

awesome! thans for the replies

i'll have a look into ubuntu i think as its the only linux distro i've used for any length of time :)

There are many, but Debian, CentOS or maybe FreeBSD are ideal for servers, where stability is important - avoid 'buntu distros as they tend to be bug ridden and unstable.

debian (latest stable version) is regarded in many circles as providing a solid reliable server platform.

personally, i really like debian in general, for those tasks that don't require the latest cutting edge features...

let us know what happens

Back