What processor is better

By agronick
Jan 17, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

well an opteron is more of a server type prossor while the 3700+ is more of an everyday desktop- gamming mmechine prossor , out of those yuo should chose the 3700+ san deigo if your gamming
  2. compres

compres Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

They are basically the same CPU repackaged for different markets. I would personally buy the Opteron just becouse server products are usually tested for better stability.
  3. erwin1978

erwin1978 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 327

yah the same thing
  4. kaymastah

kaymastah Newcomer, in training Posts: 63

tossing my vote for Opteron as well; ummm - there are no differences in the instruction set are there?

[sigh] wish I could have one just to be able to marvel at:
    "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
  5. agronick

agronick Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 120

6. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

get the 3700+ its better fir gamming and more compatable with motherboards
  7. Cartz

Cartz Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

There is essentially no difference. But the 3700 would be better for you as a gamer, although lots of people do like opeterons.
  8. agronick

agronick Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 120

I just saw my motherboards box and it says right on it AMD athalon. So it probaly would be more compatible. I think I'll get it.
  9. compres

compres Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

I don't think its less or more compatible, better nor worse at gaming. Do you guys have some proof of it being any different?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.