What PSU is right for me?

Build looks very fine. I have that cpu on a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard. Look into the Corsair power supplies. An 850 watt system should do you well.

Build looks very fine. I have that cpu on a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard. Look into the Corsair power supplies. An 850 watt system should do you well.
850 watt ... okay and should I also make sure it is "80 plus" what ever that means?

[FONT=Arial]An 850w would definitely do but it might be a bit excessive. Even with 2 GTX 670s in SLI that system will only draw around 700w under full load (it will only draw 500w with 1 card) so any good 750w+ unit should be sufficient and give you plenty of room for a video upgrade, given the minimal price difference an 850w may still be a good option. Of make sure that it is a good PSU from a respectable manufacture (Antec{Except Basiq series}, Corsair {except builder series}, Delta, Enermax, FSP {specifically Aurum Gold}, PC Power & Cooling {except silencer MKII}, SeaSonic).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Here are some recommendations:[/FONT]
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W = $135 ($105 after rebate and promo code)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W = $150 ($115 after rebate and promo code)
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W = $110 ($80 after rebate and promo code)

how is this one :

[LEFT]XION AXP-850K14XE Modular Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 850 Watt, Quad Rail, 80+ Bronze, 140mm Fan, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Black [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] or this one [/LEFT]
[LEFT]\[FONT=verdana]Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire ...[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[FONT=Arial]XION PSUs are not all that good and generally rank in the piece of crap category. It is also poorly priced for its relatively low quality, the far superior SeaSonic built Corsair 850w is only $5 more after rebate and promo code, and the PCP&C Silencer 910w (also a SeaSonic built unit) is only $15 more after rebate and promo code.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]XION PSUs are not all that good and generally rank in the piece of crap category. It is also poorly priced for its relatively low quality, the far superior SeaSonic built Corsair 850w is only $5 more after rebate and promo code, and the PCP&C Silencer 910w (also a SeaSonic built unit) is only $15 more after rebate and promo code.[/FONT]
alright thanks guys I appreciate the help I think I'll make a decision and place an order tonight, I just hope I do the mail in rebate stuff correctly

also just to make sure are all the parts I listed compatible with each other? I've heard new people such as myself often make the mistake of matching products that are not compatible

also just to make sure are all the parts I listed compatible with each other? I've heard new people such as myself often make the mistake of matching products that are not compatible

All the parts look good. You shouldn't have any compatibility issues.

Sorry for the delay. But dmill89 did you good. :) I have the Corsair TX750 in my new rig.
that is what I ended up ordering, I'm so excited to build my first gaming rig. I've watched plenty of instructional vids on building recent computers and I believe I'll get it right the first Time :D

Bit late to the thread... dunno if you've ordered your parts yet but but a few suggestions:

Don't get the Antec 900, it's an outdated case. Either get the Antec 1100 or Corsair Carbide series, they have much better cable management.

You should include a 128GB SSD, the Crucial m4 has the best performance and reliability for the price. If you need to scale down to make your budget then get a stock GTX 670 and OC it yourself and get a cheaper mobo, e.g. GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H or ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

Bit late to the thread... dunno if you've ordered your parts yet but but a few suggestions:

Don't get the Antec 900, it's an outdated case. Either get the Antec 1100 or Corsair Carbide series, they have much better cable management.

You should include a 128GB SSD, the Crucial m4 has the best performance and reliability for the price. If you need to scale down to make your budget then get a stock GTX 670 and OC it yourself and get a cheaper mobo, e.g. GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H or ASRock Z77 Extreme4.
The case I ended up getting is Apevia X-Cruiser2 Metal Mid-Tower Case - Black, Side Window, No PSU because I thought it looked nice and also becaue it seems to be able to hold my motherboards size. I plan on getting a SSD eventaully as I'll will have spent my budget on the computer and peripherals. Is there a specific size that matters more when it comes to SSD?

You really should get an SSD now to save the hassle of reinstalling the OS when you eventually do get one. They have come down in price a lot recently and the 128GB m4 can be had for £80/$125. Like I said earlier you should get a cheaper mobo and spend it on the SSD instead. With your build as it is the HDD is by far the biggest bottleneck in the system.

Generally the larger the SSD size (up to a certain point) the quicker it is. I'd say 128GB is the sweet spot at the moment for performance/price, you can fit the OS, all your programs and quite a few games on there.

You really should get an SSD now to save the hassle of reinstalling the OS when you eventually do get one. They have come down in price a lot recently and the 128GB m4 can be had for £80/$125. Like I said earlier you should get a cheaper mobo and spend it on the SSD instead. With your build as it is the HDD is by far the biggest bottleneck in the system.

Generally the larger the SSD size (up to a certain point) the quicker it is. I'd say 128GB is the sweet spot at the moment for performance/price, you can fit the OS, all your programs and quite a few games on there.
What does it mean to bottle neck?

It means it's the slowest component which holds up the rest of the system. So for example you can have the 3960X, GTX 690 and 32GB RAM but with a HDD Windows 7 still only boots up in 30 seconds.

I assume you haven't seen an SSD in action before because if you did, you'd never settle for a HDD as a boot drive ever again ;)

It means it's the slowest component which holds up the rest of the system. So for example you can have the 3960X, GTX 690 and 32GB RAM but with a HDD Windows 7 still only boots up in 30 seconds.

I assume you haven't seen an SSD in action before because if you did, you'd never settle for a HDD as a boot drive ever again ;)
haha well put sir, well I'll see about trying to squeeze that SSD into my order, I really do wan to HDD as well though an one still have both without bottle necking?

Yeah should have clarified - what pretty much all SSD users do is to install the OS, programs and games onto the SSD and have the music, pictures, videos and other documents on a larger capacity HDD.

If 150mbps is enough I've had good luck with these:
ENCORE ENEWI-1XN45 Wireless N150 Adapter with 5 dBi antenna = $15

If you need faster one of these should do:
ENCORE ENEWI-2XN45 Wireless N300 Adapter with Two 5 dBi antennas = $25
TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 300Mbps = $29
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 450Mbps = $45

[FONT=Arial]Note: most internet connections are less than 150mbps (many significantly less), making cards faster than N150 primarily beneficial for transferring files between computers on the network. You will see little if any difference in internet connection speeds with an N300 or N450 card.[/FONT]

If 150mbps is enough I've had good luck with these:
ENCORE ENEWI-1XN45 Wireless N150 Adapter with 5 dBi antenna = $15

If you need faster one of these should do:
ENCORE ENEWI-2XN45 Wireless N300 Adapter with Two 5 dBi antennas = $25
TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 300Mbps = $29
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 450Mbps = $45

[FONT=Arial]Note: most internet connections are less than 150mbps (many significantly less), making cards faster than N150 primarily beneficial for transferring files between computers on the network. You will see little if any difference in internet connection speeds with an N300 or N450 card.[/FONT]
neat thanks

it means how much output generated from PSU, the higher the certificate (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, titanium) means the higher output generated
You are describing the power rating not the efficiency ratio. The efficiency ratio is the percentage of energy not lost during the process of power conversion. The higher the ratio, the less power loss during conversion. This also means there is less heat generated during the conversion, since the PSU consumes less power during the process.

Back