What RAM is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadpill924

Hello, I want to buy some RAM so that my games will run smoother. I don't know what RAM will be the best but I have one type that I want to buy that I've been told is good. I want ddr2 because someone told me it is very good for games. If there is a better one I can use then tell me please.

System Info:

Windows XP SP2

Manufacturer
Micro Star International CO

Processor
AMD Athlon XP 1800+, MMX, 3D Now, 1.5Ghz

DirectX 9.0

Video Card
ATI Radeon 9200 Series

Sound Card
SB Audigy [E000]

512 MB of RAM
2 RAM Slots ( up to 1gb each)

If you need any other info tell me.

If you want your games to play better I would suggest a different video card. actually I would suggest a complete new system instead of upgrading the one you have.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/

515.00 US is an inexpensive upgrade and will surpass any upgrade with your old system. Basically a good rule is if system is older than 2 years and you have not upgraded than parts + labor will not be a good benefit for upgrading old machine.

Games, operating systems and application software are increasing in power usage. Your older system still will make a great internet machine and file computer. But for that hard computing a new machine will be your best bet.

you can only use DDR 400 PC3200 ram in your system. Read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.

"Location: Why would you want to know"

trust me, it really does help.

knowing your country lets us know what links to give you for country specific sites, e.g. newegg.com for buying parts in the US and ebuyer.com for the UK

He's in the US. I don't like his attitude on not answering that part of the profile either. Just leave it blank, don't put some lame 'I'm not going to tell you" comment.

How can we advise you on a RAM purchase if you don't tell us how much you have now? If you have 512 it might be worth another 512 and a better video card, like a 6600GT or 6800GT, or maybe a 7600GT. If you have a gig of RAM already just get a new video card.

leadpill924 said:
I want to buy that I've been told is good. I want ddr2 because someone told me it is very good for games. If there is a better one I can use then tell me please.

You don't have much choice - your system will only work with one type of memory technology, which is DDR (Not DDR2). The fastest memory your board supports is 333MHz DDR (aka PC 3200), so that's what you'll be looking for.

And a warning: Spending lots of money for special "low latency" memory offer minimal gains, so just stick to the 'regular' stuff. Your system is older and you're limited by your CPU, video card AND memory. Upgrading just one thing won't make a big difference in overall performance.

If you read the guide then you would have been educated. If you don't take the advice we give, we cannot help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back