What router am i using??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizerist

Hi all.

I have been following this guide
http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=3880
and have managed to get to part 5, where it directs you to a page where you locate your router model/brand.

Unfortunately I have no idea which one I have. I don't recognise any of those brand names on the page either, apart from ASUS, which my motherboard is made by.

Can someone tell me a way to find out? I have looked through a few FAQ's but nothing.

Cheers.

is there a start > run option which would discern it, because i'm looking in the innards of my PC with a torch and i dont know what to look for....

you were asking What Router?

it is NOT inside the PC, but sets between the Modem and the PC:
Code:
modem---router---system

OK. You're using a SMC EZ ethernet USB adapter as your network card; that's not a problem. Your router or your modem is connected to your SMC EZ ethernet USB adapter with a network cable. What device is connected to your USB adapter with the network cable? Does your cable or phone line connect to the device connected to your USB adapter?

And what is connected to the set top box? You have your choice of a phone line, coaxial cable or another network cable?

theres a white box inbetween the two (an adapter type box) which is a square thing the size of........imagine a rubix cube cut in two. one half. theres no writing on it.

OK but you still only have a choice of a phone line, coaxial cable or another network cable? The PM wasn't a problem, so don't worry about it.

I can't actually get in behind the box at the moment cos everyones watching TV. I dont think the phone is connected to it, although the phone, internet, and TV channels are all bundled into a £50-a-month package. in that respect, it could be connected

Ok now the somewhat educated guessing begins! The set top box is your cable modem/router. If it's just a modem then you can't port forward. If it's a router then you can possibly port forward like the other thread said. We need to know what make and model the set top box is. The half a rubix cube device is probably a filter of some kind and wouldn’t be acting as your router.

it's an NTL / pace one. I can't check much else with people watching TV though right now.

i did a start > cmd > ipconfig/all and it gave me a gateway number. apparently that means its a router?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pace DI4000-N only has one ethernet port. The ethernet port is the port your ethernet cable is plugged into. One port means you have a modem and not a router, so no port forwarding for you. That is one old STB. Pace doesn't have the manual on their website anymore, and all the information I could find dated back to 2001-2002.

If your Pace DI4000-N actually does have more than one ethernet port then please let us know.

bah. there's only one ethernet slot.

so, the 'default gateway' number i have, it's different to my IP address, i was told that 2 different numbers means you have a router.....

is this not the case now then?

exhamin closely:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : zzzzzcom
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.75.164.90

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:27:52 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM
The Gateway can ONLY have one number; it's the default routing out of your system.

The DNS can have multiple entries to allow address resolution under heavy traffic

NEITHER of these statements gives a clue as to the presence of a router!
These numbers are stored on your NIC due to the DHCP implementation and
would occur as well without a router.

The CLUE as to a router is the ip address range being one of:
  1. 192.168.x.x
  2. 176.16.x.x
  3. 10.x.x.x
All other values would be a public ip address and *maybe* a direct connection
(unless you purchased a static IP address OR domain name)

hmmm, well my ip says this

ipv4 address.....................81.100.blah blah

i guess thats not a router then. ah well.

thanks for your help peeps
(assuming that its concrete confirmation) :)

get a CMD prompt and enter exactly:
tracert www.google.com
this tool will report response times for every system between you and Google.

I'm after the first three timings as the IP addresses (or system names) are shown.
From that we can see your Lan address and your gateway address and the router in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back