What Should i Consider when Upgrading My Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

What Should i Consider when Upgrading My lappy Processor? i want to go for core 2 duo (something like 2.33), but there must be some things to consider in my Chipset for compatability, what are these?

my chipset is Intel 945PM, but this is all what i know

plz help

and what is this Intel® 64 Architecture in the new CPUs? and how do i know if my chipset supports it or not?

System Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
· HP dv5242ea
· 1024x768 XGA
· 01D8_GeForce Go 7400
· VRAM: 256MB

· Windows XP Home

System Memory: 2084
CPU: 1.6 Duo Centrino

With laptops, consideration #1: your laptop maker (HP) has to support the upgrade. Laptop motherboards, cooling and BIOSes are custom made with that specific model in mind. Your upgrade choices are very limited really. Unless HP officially supports Core 2 in that laptop, your chances of getting it to work are very slim.

Hey that's the same laptop I have! Why would u wanna upgrade to Core 2 Duo when u already have a Core Duo processor in there? What would u want to do with the extra processing power?

and what is this Intel® 64 Architecture in the new CPUs? and how do i know if my chipset supports it or not?
i think this is just something to do with it being able to run ands support 64 bit OSs/programs etc? its a guess..

Hey that's the same laptop I have! Why would u wanna upgrade to Core 2 Duo when u already have a Core Duo processor in there? What would u want to do with the extra processing power?
True that.. the Centrino Duo is just another name for the Core 2 Duo, its just its mobile version (like Pentium 4 was to Pentium M.. if i remember correctly..) and i believe that model is considerably quite recent too..

What types of use are you going to put this laptop through?

i want to be able to run 64bit programs

thank u all for the replies

N3051M

you guessed right, running 64 bit OSs/programs is what i want,

and by th way i checked with my manufacturer, the duo core i have is NOT core 2 duo (i am sure), these 64bit programs will spread all over the country soon enough

HP recommends these for this mode (none of them 64bitl:

1-Intel Pentium M processor - 1.83GHz (Yonah, 667MHz processor side bus)
2-Intel Pentium M processor - 2.0GHz (Yonah, 667MHz processor side bus)
3-Intel Centrino Core Duo T2300E processor - 1.66GHz, 512MB cache, 533FSB
4-Intel Celeron M 410 processor - 1.46GHz, 1MB cache, 533FSB
5-Intel Centrino Core Duo T2050 processor - 1.6GHz, 512MB cache, 533FSB

but i have an important question, does the motherboard have to support 64bit to be able to run it? is it the bios? or is it something to do in hardware?

i don't neccessirly need 2.33 speed, but i want the 64bit

riyad said:

N3051M

and by th way i checked with my manufacturer, the duo core i have is NOT core 2 duo (i am sure), these 64bit programs will spread all over the country soon enough

but i have an important question, does the motherboard have to support 64bit to be able to run it? is it the bios? or is it something to do in hardware?

Hmm, I would stay away from the celeron series if you want a nice processor. Although they are made better now than before, they still lack the ability to run many programs continuously.

dIt is rare for laptops to be upgraded. Quite often, their CPUs are hard-soldered. Furthermore, the BIOS and other components must be able to support the upgrade. I would not recommend doing this. There are other ways to speed up your laptop. 1. Get a fast hard drive. 2. Defrag often. 3. Optimize and clean the drive often (use crap cleaner or norton cleansweep 4. Use a startup editor to stop programs from autoloading such as mike lin's startup editor. 5. remove blatware and virus prone software like any instant messanging software. 6. Add memory. RAM significantly speeds up laptops and stops page-swapping. Furthermore it helps with battery life.

riyad said:

N3051M

U already have a Core Duo processor, which is different from Core 2 Duo. Core 2 Duo is basically a highly-polished version of Core Duo. Seeing the efficiency and power of the Core Duo processor, Intel decided to release an upgraded desktop version of it, codenamed Conroe. They then released this upgraded version onto laptops with the name Core 2 Duo. It's easy to get confused but just remember the difference of the 2 between them. That Core Duo processor may not be 64-bit, but it certainly is fast. And most programs/OSes don't need a 64-bit architecture anyways since there are not many out there that take advantage of it, Windows XP Professional x64 and Linux being the only ones I know of that do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back