TechSpot

what the government throws out!

By Tedster
Jul 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Today, while looking for an office chair in a "dungeon" of an old Army building, I found a BRAND NEW 100GB hard drive still in the box and sealed in the middle of a trash pile with garbage and other crap all over it. It was covered with styrofoam, paper, plastic bags, bottles and cans, and other trash. The HD was still sealed in it's anti-static wrap!!!

Amazing what the Army buys, forgets about, and throws out. Needless to say, I "recovered" this lost treasure and will put it to good use.
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

don't you love finding good things in the trash? i scored numerous tvs over the years, and my friend got a perfect 21" monitor.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

oh dumpster diving can be very interesting on military bases.....

I work in a radar/computer repair shop..... we get a lot of stuff that's "broken", but in reality, isn't.
  4. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

So that's why an army is expensive to keep :)
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

man, that's just the tip of the iceberg!

DRMO auctions can be very interesting.
  6. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

yeah I found some RFT equipment in the trash a few years back at work. Turned out someone had planted it there. Caught him on a wireless camera early the next morning..."empting the trash"!
  7. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i thought it was the policitians' use of them...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.