What to buy? Baron or TBred?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGaribaldi

What to buy? Barton or TBred?

Hello :)

I've suddenly gotten a chance to upgrade my cpu, since I'm going to build a system for my family...

They'll get my Athlon 1.4Ghz, and I'll the cpu of my choosing (within a certani price range)...

My system is:
Asus A7V8X-Gold (onboard LAN and Sound)
256mb PC2700 (soon to be 1GB PC2700 or 512mb PC3200)
Ati Radeon 9700pro
harddrives & such

So the question for me now is:
Which cpu should I get?

I'm torn between the XP2600+ (TBred) and the XP2500+ (Barton)...

I've yet to see much difference between the barton and the tbred in the reviews I've read, but then they only compared a 3000+ barton to a 3.06Ghz...

I wil not overclock it, so how far I can push it won't influence my buying it...

My system is used for: Inet, Programming, Word, Games, Seti@Home and such...

So what would be better?
256kb extra cache? or 250Mhz?

[EDIT]

Fixed the topic from "Baron" to "Barton"

[/EDIT]

Re: What to buy? Barton or TBred?

Well, after a lot of reading I've decided for a boxed Barton 2500+ along with 2x 512MB of TwinMOS PC2700...

It would seem the extra 256k of cache'll give me a nice little increase, compared to the TBred, with games and office apps, though not with mp3 encoding and such...

I think this should give my computer a wee little speed increase compared to my current Athlon 1.4Ghz and 256MB TwinMOS 2700...

I can't wait until the postman gets here! :)

Just read this now, but I was going to say that if it was me, I would grab a Barton. As you can more than likely run it with a mild overclock to get the 250Mhz that it loses against the Tbred. 1gb of ram... mmmm. I considered getting another 512mb of OCZ PC3500 but I'm working on getting a stable overclock first so a bigger PSU (probably Antec Tru Power) is in order first :D

Hehehe... It would seem everyone OC's these days...

I think I'll leave it at stock speeds until I actually need that extra performance...

The reason I went with 1GB of PC2700 is that my mobo (A7V8X) doesn't support more than one chip of PC3200, and the price for 1GB was way out of reach...

Arris> How far have you managed to push it so far?

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Arris> How far have you managed to push it so far?

Well I've had it run 3dmark2001SE to completion at 200fsbx10. It warm boots up to 2.2Ghz 11x200fsb but if I try and cold boot it doesn't work. And at 200fsbX10 I get errors in Prime95. The ram should be up to it as its PC3500 and I have talked with others at www.amdforums.com about their OCZ ram and they are running fast CAS2 timings at 200-220Mhz... So I think my PSU is at its limit as I am feeding 2.8v (rather than 2.6v) to the ram and 1.8v to the CPU rather than 1.6v...

I may buy bigger PSU and see if that helps... otherwise it may be the core that is limiting speeds. I also might try reseating the northbridge heatsink with some ASIII to keep the temps more undercontrol (or replace it with an old Pentium heatsink...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back