What type of CD is good for installing Linux or other OS for dual boot?

By Atham
Aug 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello TechSpot,

I am thinking of dual booting Linux Mint with my Windows 7 OS. I don't have a cd big enough for the installer, and I am thinking about buying a stack of CDs to use for booting. However, I don't know which CD type to buy. I will be using them also for Movie making, file storage, back up and etc..
    Which one of these would work?
    • DVD R
    • DVD RW
    • DVD-RW
    • DVD-RAM

Thanks
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

They're DVD's, not CD's; though you can use them for burning a Linux ISO, it would be a waste of most of the capacity of a disk though. I'd choose DVD-R's.

You can always download Linux live creator and use that instead. You just need a spare 1GB USB memory stick/thumb drive.
  3. Atham

Atham TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 517

So I need a DVD. I know about the USB. My friend also wants a couple of the Linux OS installers on DVDs plus other files which he wants burned. I will burn them for him, I just need to know which type is good for this stuff.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,409   +281

I really like Sony DVD-R disks. Not sure where you live, but Staples often has them for $15 for a 50 spindle or $25 for 100. Although it has been a while since I've seen them do that with Sonys, the seem to do it with HP a lot now.

I've had a very high success rate burning the Sony ones and their label is almost completely white with tasteful lettering on it. A lot of other brands have horrible looking disks.
  5. Atham

Atham TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 517

Thanks SNGX, I will have a look around shops in Slovakia.

Found one SONY DVD+R 50 pieces cakebox for 14 euros. 4.7 gigs on each.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.