What type of SSD do you need?

5myl

I am building a PC and i found out about SSD drives. I have never heard of them before. Anyways I wanted to get one but I'm not sure how many GB do you need. I was thinking of using it for the operating system so it starts up faster and then use my 1TB HDD for all other files. can you do that?

Three issues: Cost, size, and speed.
And their long-term reliability is still in question.
Plenty of 60 GB and 80 GB SSD drives available for under $100 now... but above that, you can easily pay $235 to $285 for one that is fast and rugged.
There are price drops nearly every week... while 12 different manufacturers know this is the cash cow. They are all rushing to beat their competition.
After Christmas, there will be 350 GB to 500 GB drives at a reasonable price... Then if they work well, two years from now, you probably will not find many regular hard drives still on the market.
We just received our first SSD drives on the first of July... and so far they are impressive... Quiet, relatively fast, but not nearly as fast as a Good Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate, Fujitsu, or Seagate hard drive... But they are now up to $350 for 250 GB.
Now if we only knew something about their long-term reliability... everybody speculates they will be good for five years... We will need to be convinced.
In the meantime there is nothing wrong with using a Western Digital, Seagate, Fujitsu, Toshiba, or Samsung drive that is 500 GB for $55... or a 750 GB for $80. Just avoid the unreliable TriGem, Hitachi, Maxtor, There are still plenty of problems with the 1TB 1.5TB, and 2 TB hard drives.. mostly with speed and early failures..

Ray when you say "but not nearly as fast as a good western digitial, samsung, fujitsu... Which drives were you referring to.

How big a hdd you need depends on how many and how big applications you're going to install in the same drive. Personally I think 32 GB is just fine for Win7 & apps I need. The applications that take a lot of space and games go to other drives.

If I was you, I'd do some research on SSD's write speeds, the inexpensive ones tend to be much slower to write than to read.

How big a hdd you need depends on how many and how big applications you're going to install in the same drive. Personally I think 32 GB is just fine for Win7 & apps I need. The applications that take a lot of space and games go to other drives.

If I was you, I'd do some research on SSD's write speeds, the inexpensive ones tend to be much slower to write than to read.

As above, from what I found, within reason the bigger the budget the better the performance. At least thats what I found.

I currently use a 256GB Crucial SSD, and with Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, and all of my software I'm only using 37GB. (I have Linux running on it to). My 500gb Hitachi is rather full with media and Vbox partitions though!

I'd get at minimum, a decent 64GB/128GB SSD though, and make sure you research the performance of them, as I noticed it varied wildly when I looked. At certain price points your actually better off getting a 150GB 10k rpm Velociraptor WD hard drive. Specs here.

In hindsight I could have had 3 of the Velociraptors above running in RAID with silly fast performance, and still have saved myself £200 odd!

Back