What version of Vista will you go with?

What version of Vista will you be choosing?

• Home Basic

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Home Premium

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Business

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Ultimate

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Starter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're missing a few version - I have the final version of Enterprise installed now.

TimeParadoX said:
You should add a part of the poll that says "I wont get Vista"

Well....

Here are a few good reasons to upgrade to Vista (i.e., DX10) ;)

alan_wake_2.jpg

alan_wake_1.jpg

flight_simulator_x_1.jpg

TimeParadoX said:
Cant you still use DX10 without vista? :D

Plus vista is like $5000

You'll be able to play DX10 games in XP, but it'll run in a "fallback" mode. If you want to play in DX10 with all the candy, you'll need Vista.

Well that's stupid, Might have to upgrade to vista then... But i'll get it when ( If it does ) Vista goes down in price or when alot more DX10 games come out ;)

How much is Vista at the moment anyways?

I know I have previously said that i wouldn't upgrade to vista, but because of DirectX10 I may have to.

Damn it! If it wasn't for games I'd be running Ubuntu 100% of the time!
More Open**. Less Direct**.

Ubuntu = Great! :D

I might upgrade to vista if it's cheap because im already planning on building a DX10 build so I might just get Vista to finish it off :D

You can find the upgrade to Home Premium pretty cheap. Newegg has/had XP Media Center with free upgrade to Home Premium for $109.99

Why would I spend money on an OS that is a memory hog from the start. I have everything I need and want in XP Pro and Linux.

Eye candy is not something I go after

I dont see why Vista is so popular, All it really is a more fancy version of WinXp with all the glossy effects and colorful boot screens

The only reason I might upgrade to vista is if newer games are released ONLY for vista

Well all DX10 games are going to be Vista only and I bet some game developers will implement code that will make it impossible to run their games on other versions of windows. They "fixed" Doom3 so it wouldn't run on anything older than XP even though it could.

As I'm planning on getting a laptop soon, I want to look for something w/Vista Home Premium. I still wanna run Linux, though, so I would probably download the DSL distro. Do you have to partition your hard drive for that or do you need 2 drives?
--kitty

If the laptop you're getting comes with Vista pre-installed then all of the space will be partitioned as NTFS for vista.
You'll need to resize the ntfs partition and create a new partition for linux and no, you don't necessarily need two drives to run two operating systems.

I'm thinking about getting the Utimate package for Vista, where did those stunning pictures come from DonNagual a game?

TimeParadoX said:
very nice DonNagual, What are the differences in Ultimate vs. Normal version of Vista?

The basics are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

Ultimate is a full pack including both the home premium as well as the business version. Plus there are some reports of extra tweeks that are available in Ultimate specifically for gamers. This has me interested, but they had better be some amazing tweeks for the price difference.

Then there is the "Vista Ultimate Extras" which will apparently also be included in the Ultimate edition, the details of which I have not yet been able to find. At this point, I am leaning towards the Home Premium version until more info is released.

I agree, I might get Home Premium because Ultimate is $400 ( screw that :haha ) also they basicly have the same things but Ultimate has some stuff that the premium doesnt

I have been using Microsoft Vista now for about a month or so and I do find it somewhat reliable, but the application support is poor. I also found that driver support seems to be getting better, with devices that I could not install on the beta being supported on the RTM.

I would most definately go for Ultimate, I suppose because the way I look at these things is "I might as well get the best then I dont have to worry about upgrading later on and wasting money". But that's just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back