Whats good for my OLd PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicksyo

I have a Celeron or PII 233mhz(dont know which one but im sure its 233) with 128 mb,20GB, 8mb S3Trio Savage,D-link external Modem and running on WIn98se... Please give me some advice on how to make my old PC go smooth and more reliable while connecting to the net (I'm using Dial-Up 56kb)? Im current problem is having an IE illegal operation on friendster homepage (just this page)....... Please give me advice what OS is better on my Pc and some other device. :slurp:
Thanks and more power

Really your pc is just to slow, but here are a few things that will help atleast a little.

1 - Run disk defragmenter, its something that a lot of people forget about but it can speed your system up once its been run.

2 - Remove your temporary files. In 98 the easiest way i fouund was to click on dosprompt then type "deltree *.tmp/s" without the speach marks.

3 - Remove temporary Internet files. Again, this is something a lot of people forget about and can speed your system up and free up some valueable drive space. I havent used win98 in a very long time so u will have to figure out how to do it.

These simple things should be done on a regular basis, I personally tend to do them every 2 weeks at least. They really can make a difference.

Your problem with IE would best be fixed by going to Microsoft.com and updating it provided they still support windows 98, like i said i havent used for ages so i have no idea.

Hope that all helps. Rik.

No prob, if u have ant trouble doing any of it then let know and i will do my best to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back