What's really the Best OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people talk about Linux being much superior to windows, and some others prefer Macs. What's the real truth? After i put my computer together, is it best for me to keep on using microsoft or switch to Linux. Macs are okay too, but they are hard to repair after the warranty period is over. So the bottom line is, which one is honestly the best OS

The best OS?

The one you prefer.

Linux pros vs Windows :
Free,
More convenient - GUI feature-wise,
More CPUs supported,
Better support for x86-64,
More choice
Update updates almost ALL your apps.

Cons:
A lot of big companies aren't supporting Linux, or just not updating their software, making popular formats sometimes unsupported
There's much more command line - even for a simple video driver
Hardware support sometimes limited, but sometimes better than Windows

Stick with what you're most comfortable with, and you wont regret it. Why? because then you'll know nearly all the detail, shortcuts, workarounds, ins-n-outs etc of that particular system, which you can use as braging rights (show-off) :D or even better, contribute to the forum to help fix things :)

But theres no rules saying you cant learn new things.... so yeh, give 'em a try and see if you like the other platforms..

For any person who asks, "What's the Best OS?"... Well, they should probably stick to Windows... For now at least. ;)

Linux is great, but only great for advanced users. There are some really 'newbie friendly' distros, but they do not solve things like, 'Why doesn't my wireless card work?' and 'How come none of my software runs?' or even installing a new program can daunting.

On the other hand, its free and so is a lot of good software (alternative software titles to Windows, too). It can be every bit as easy as Windows to use... Just not for someone who wants to change or add things. Linux might make a good Internet box for example... But when you're trying to install your new wireless all-in-one printer... You'll wish you were back on Windows. I certainly don't want to discourage you from trying it though. The only way you can become familiar with Linux is to use it. :)

Apple's Mac OS X is actually based on FreeBSD, which is a Unix-variant (Much like Linux). It has certainly had its incredible share of bugs, but at the moment it is quite polished. I still prefer Windows in many respects, but Mac OS X offers a slick, stream-lined, user-friendly interface and includes some clever features you won't find on Windows.

But just like everyone has already said - It's about your preference - Because there's too many variables to accurately calculate the best OS. They all do the same thing, just in different ways.

DragonMaster said:
What if it's DOS and Win98? Sometimes changing can't do any bad.
rule 1: if it isn't broken, don't fixit.
rule 2: if your environment is obsolete, and you're forced into a change, jump all the way forward as far as possible.
rule 3: know yourself and your threshold of pain in learning new concepts and procedures.

re Win/98se: if all you do is read email, why not!

But when you're trying to install your new wireless all-in-one printer...
Makes me think about printers, the good thing about Linux is that, since there are only 3rd party drivers, you can use ANY printers supported by Linux on a network. If I try to print something from a Windows/OS X machine to a printer connected on an other computer, often, it will not work because the company of the printer decided that you couldn't do this. But, with Linux, it works!

re Win/98se: if all you do is read email, why not!

The ONLY reason why I changed from Win9x to Win2k or Linux earlier than I would is because Adobe decided not to release Adobe Reader 7 for Win9x. (Needed to see PDFs in Firefox) Apart from that, every single apps I need work fine.

Macs are okay too, but they are hard to repair after the warranty period is over.

That's a big minus for them I think. Apparently, you need to order almost everything when it breaks and it costs a lot + repair fees because you often can't change it yourself. -> Even for recalls affecting a lot of units you need to order parts and wait for long because they're B/O.

If software and hardware companies would release their products on Linux instead of asking 3rd parties to do it, Linux would probably be better than Windows. (You need command lines and everything to get your video drivers working, the ability to play popular multimedia format support, getting recent hardware to work(Problem with 3rd drivers is that a lot of features aren't available), etc.

Like the general consensus is, stick to what you fell comfortable with, I personally prefer windows, simply because I have used it for many years and little point changing, I mean Linux and MAC both serve their purposes, but I dont need either one, so yup, your choice.

The best? Hmmm, no names but even no names , particularity of all OS is to run faster , maximmum of even tried , don't have any lot of eating RAM or processors , run all applications , better ideea is Linux , doesn,t mather name >Red Hat or Fedora Core , great tu use , but especially Win or Mac , more stablle.
Keywords
Stability , performance,all ap,secure,and lots of more , finally free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back