TechSpot

Whats up with memory prices???

By vegasgmc
May 15, 2004
  1. Seems like a 40% jump in the past month. Right when I was getting ready to buy some PC3200.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Memory has been going up in price for the past couple of months actually.

It has started leveling off and even dropping from time to time, but I imagine it will dip substantially in price during 4th quarter.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Memory prices fluctuate quite a bit over the years. You just have to accept it.

4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

The market is rising overall. I support I/T at a semiconductor plant here....they make the raw semiconductor material used in the chips. Their forecast shows a banner year in production with steadily rising prices towards the end of the year with potentially prices at or near what they were before the massive slide of a couple years ago.

5. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,377

Guess I'll buy now. I got a stick of 512mb PC2100 last may for $50. I guess those days are over for a while.

6. greeny12m

greeny12m TS Rookie

1 word eBay

you just have to find the right place, eBay IS GOD. i found two sticks of 512Mb PC3200 for £50 each, also if using ebay try www.snip.pl its great, it puts your max bid in 5 seconds before the auction closes and you can group things and bid on 10 of the same things but if you win 1 (or whatever number) then it cancels the rest of your bids

7. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

yeah you can score some real good deals on ebay, you just gotta do your homework and be sure you know what your getting.

8. Firebird

Firebird TS Rookie Posts: 27

go to pricewatch.com They offer some great deals. I just got my Athlon XP2600 cpu and mobo for $100.14 I also got 2 sticks of pc 2700 ddr for $62 ($28.99 each) Right now the prices are down but Rick is right, the prices keep going up.

9. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,377

Who did you buy it from Firebird?

10. Firebird

Firebird TS Rookie Posts: 27

I think I bought it from pcboost.com It's the cheap ram but I didn't have enough money for the better ram.

11. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 132

12. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Little Asian hands make the cheapest tech products, from what I hear. :)

I have some colleagues buying things like DVD burners for as little as $15-20 each, external drive enclosures for less than $5 and what are usually expensive cables for less than a $1 for two of them. Even authentic OS software for just dollars each, like the Mac OS X.2 and X.3 upgrades.

It's amazing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.