What's with funny files that are undeleteable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

I have a couple of files here in this odd leftover ffolder that didn't completely delete. They have names like ЃϵϳЅЂϿϽϯІχϯπρϯϸϹϴϴϵϾϻϵЉ , and when I open it, the 16 byte file turns out to be CDcheck???

EDIT: I also found a deleteable fire, but it was 0 bytes. How can a file have 0 bytes and still exist? Is all this stuff the byproduct of a defrag or a HD format or what?

Please Disable System Restore (howto)

Then download Move On Boot from h e r e

Once installed click on Start--> All Programs -->GiPo@Utilities-->MoveOnBoot
Browse to the files you want removed, and select them
Click next, and then select Delete select Start

Restart
Confirm the file has in fact been deleted

If it has gone, please re-enable System Restore

Reply back with the result

One more important issue: Do not create Titles like this long one you have created again.
Something like, "Help removing strange named files" would have done.

EDIT: I also found a deleteable fire, but it was 0 bytes. How can a file have 0 bytes and still exist? Is all this stuff the byproduct of a defrag or a HD format or what?

just fyi follow-up: 0 length files are fairly common. Whether you or an application creates a file but then turns out no output for it.. u have 0 length. Now one might try to argue if the file should remain.. but since it's a file intentionally created, it just happened be no output for it. Which, teh fact of 0 bytes of data, doesn't mean you're still not learning somethiing from the fact that there are 0 bytes data - like it was supposed to list all xyzc. And now you see you have NONE

I believe that after re-enabling System Restore you need to manually set a restore point.

:)

Actually they are either pictures used as text, or fonts unrecognized by Windows (making the squares)
They look to me like web files, possibly from using a file sharing program like uTorrent or something

Reasonable guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back