Whats wrong with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

I wasn't sure what to post this under because it could fall under quite a few categories. My computer has been really strange the last month or so and seems to be getting progressively worse. I have been having quite a few lockups where the computer just stops working and completely freezes. In the past month I have gotten two bsods but they were both different and never came back. The internet seems to work about seventy five percent of the time and not very well but it works fine for anything else I may be using it for not on this computer. I use AVG anti virus and have daily scans and nothing has shown up for months, recently it starts scanning and then doesn't stop but it doesn't show any threats so I am in the process of uninstalling and then reinstalling but every time I uninstall it locks up. I run adaware every week and I don't have anything show up besides a few tracking cookies. IE stopped working completely it just kept freezing so I reinstalled it and it seems fine now, but I use fire fox for the most part anyway. My Mom will sometimes play games from pogo and now those wont work even though she can get on the internet. I run cc cleaner every now and then just to keep things cleaned up. I have a lot of extra hard drive space and defrag any time it says to. I have also ran check disk. When I startup the computer I just have the essentials started. I also have all of my Windows updates. I have looked under event viewer and have quite a few Dcom errors. I went through the Microsoft site on instructions to fix it but the CLISD it gives does not match anything I have under DCOM. I am unsure whether or not that has anything to do with the constant freezes or the internet not working or not. These constant freezes and the internet only working occasionally are really getting on my nerves. Sorry for writing so much but I figured more information is better then less.

Thank You
Tyler

A good place to start would be to post your minidumps so please attach them so that we can read them.

How to find your minidumps:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. It is these files that we need you to attach to your next posting, NOT the whole folder.

I went into my Windows Mini dump folder and there is nothing in there. When I go to properties the size is 0 bytes. Any ideas on where the could have wandered off to? I have never really messed with them before.

I try to troubleshoot with the Event Viewer. But all the information had to be given. Just saying "quite a few Dcom errors." means nothing!

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

A point in case is this: it's not Dcom, it's DCOM. When discussing errors, the digits and case of the letters must be accurate. Copying the Event Error assures that. DCOM is an acronym for Distributed Component Object Model.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Date: 1/9/2008
Time: 4:49:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP2
Description:
CRT invalid display type
This event appears about 4-5 times a day.

Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 1/7/2008
Time: 11:45:16 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service DPFUSMgr with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A5F087F1-543B-11D5-87D4-00010242D7FF}
This one appears probably 1-2 times a day.

Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 12/30/2007
Time: 8:16:47 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Description:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

This is the beast on some days it appears up to 20 times. I went to the microsoft link and it told me to go into something and change the security settings. The problem is the CLISD is not there. I appreciate your help so much. This has been troubling me and I can't figure it out.

Event #45062,Source: ati2mtag , Desc: CRT invalid display type:

Source:As per ATI: "When a digital panel connected to the graphics card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display type, the source is ati2mtag. This occurs with Catalyst 7.7 and higher. This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install Catalyst 7.6". See the link to "AMD Knowledge Base Topic 737-29385" for more information.
Symptoms:

Solution:
This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install Catalyst 7.6.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

Event #10016, Source: DCOM, Desc. default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Servehat DCOM error is related to app_filter its part of the nvidia firewall

You can correct the error by adding the NTAUTHORITY/SERVICE user to launch and activation permissions for app_filter with local launch and activation permissions.

Control Panel> Administrative tools> Component services:
1. expand by clicking on the + sign>
2. computers> my computer>
3. DCOM Config>
4. right click on app_filter>
5. select properties>
6. Security tab>
7. select customize for launch and activation permissions>
8. edit button to open the launch permissions page>,
9. click the add button to open the user and group selection page>,
10.click advanced to open the select user or group page>
11.click the find now button>
12. scroll down through the list of users and groups until you find SERVICE in the list and highlight >
13.click OK to return to the select users or groups page>
14.click OK again to return to the launch permissions page>
15.you should see SERVICE in the list of users and groups for app_filter>
16. highlight SERVICE>
17.check local launch and local activation in the permissions for SERVICE>
18.click OK again to return to app_filter properties page >
19.click OK again, now you should be all the way back to the component services page and the SERVICE user has permissions so you wont get any more DCOM errors.

You can als ouse this MS Tech net site to set the permissions: http://tinyurl.com/ypclkk

Error #: 10006, Source: DCOM: Desc. Permissions:
Event 10006, Source DCOM: Desc.
There are three parts to this:

1. DPFUSMgr.exe: belongs to the software DigitalPersona Password
2. DCOM (Distributed Component Object Model) in the administrative Tools in the Control Panel needs to be set to Automatic and started. It's a proprietary Microsoft technology for communication among software components distributed across networked computers. DCOM, which originally was called "Network OLE", extends Microsoft's COM, and provides the communication substrate under Microsoft's COM+ application server infrastructure. It has been deprecated in favor of Microsoft .NET.
3.. DCPM: Dot Com Portal Manager.

Once you put DCOM to Automatic for startup and start the Service, I think these error will go away.

I really appreciate all your help on this. For the last one I looked under DCOM under services and it was on automatic and started. Hopefully this stops some of the problems. Thanks again I would have never been able to figure this out.

You're welcome the Event Viewer is a great troubleshooting tool. Now that you're aware of it's value, it will help you in the future when unknown or unusual things happen on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back