Whats wrong with my ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this cheap computer the other day and i decided id put some more memory in it so i could play world of warcraft. It started with 320mb total but i got another 256 so i could get 512 total with 2 256s but when i try to put in the other 256, the computer makes a beepig sound instead of working. It works when i take the first 256 out and just use the 64(im guessing it has no label) but when i try to take out the 64 and use only the 256 or both, it doesnt work and just makes the noise.

Whats wrong with it? its a dell optiplex gx115. Is the 64 stick somthing special or is it somthing else since i dont actually know if its only a 64, the computer says theres 320 total so im guessing its a 64. What can i do to fix it and how can i get 512 total in the computer.

You have to make sure that the new RAM is the same type as the original Dell RAM. In the older OEM computers they were very sensitive about what RAM was installed. You have one of these

yea but why is it that when i leave the 256 in but take out the 64 it doesnt work but when i leave in the 64 and take out the 256 it works, even when i switch the 2 out it doesnt work, the 64 has to be there and in that same place either way for some reason :x

This is because the old 64mb SDRAM is probably ECC RAM (Error Correction Code RAM) Modern RAM is NOT ECC RAM. Go to the computer Dell's support website and see exactly what type of memory is needed or used. The 256 SDRAM modules you bought will not work in this system period. It is too old and very proprietary

so what would happen if i got another 256, the other one being the exact same as the one i have now, would that work or do i need special ecc ram?

You will have to get the same type of RAM that came with the computer. It had a 64MB, and a 256MB stick installed right? If you could find a 256MB module just like the 256 module that came in the working computer, you might be able to get 512MB total RAM minus any shared RAM for the video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back