What's your daily routine in monitoring company networks

joffmatteo

I think my routine in monitoring our company network equipment was not sufficient, can someone share their daily and advance routine? thanks

First thing every morning is to check the phone for text alerts from NMS. Next check NMS and traffic graphs. Next review all logs that have a public IP address assigned. I deal with routers, wireless PTP/PTMP links, servers, and switches, a few thousand devices. Are you looking for something more specific?

First thing every morning is to check the phone for text alerts from NMS. Next check NMS and traffic graphs. Next review all logs that have a public IP address assigned. I deal with routers, wireless PTP/PTMP links, servers, and switches, a few thousand devices. Are you looking for something more specific?
my company is very budget base in their spending. almost my network monitoring is almost basic ping commands,tracert, firewall monitoring. I tested some advance network monitoring tools like solar winds that tells all status of devices but eventually they are only trial. do you have recommendation that I can use like free tool that almost equal the performance on other paid apps?

thanks

my company is very budget base in their spending. almost my network monitoring is almost basic ping commands,tracert, firewall monitoring. I tested some advance network monitoring tools like solar winds that tells all status of devices but eventually they are only trial. do you have recommendation that I can use like free tool that almost equal the performance on other paid apps?

thanks
PRTG is mostly the tool everyone uses for monitoring. You could go zabbix, cacti or nagios if you're on a budget. They're Linux monitoring software so if you're new to that could give you something to look into.

One of the oldest and easiest to do on a budget of nothing is Cacti. It can graph a number of things via ICMP or SNMP. I used it for years in conjunction with Mikrotik software The Dude. The Dude is also free but runs on Mikrotik router OS. You can run each on a virtual machine or a physical box. Below are the links to both.

Normal Routine

1.Tea
2.PRTG alerts/Emails
3.Tickets/Requests
4.End of Shift handover

I think ideally the best way would be to try to centralize everything. Lots of software and no control would be way too chaotic.

Pick your main software stick to it and slowly integrate other tools for monitoring wise.

Start with the basics. First ensure that you have ENTIRE network/system coverage.

Back