7. Other

7.5%
  8. Bing

2.5%
By kitty500cat
Apr 21, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I'm just wondering what people's favorite search engine is. I prefer Google, but I know there's other good search engines online and I'm wondering what other people prefer.

Regards :)

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I use both Yahoo and Google, but prefer Yahoo if for no other reason than Yahoo is my home page. ;)

Regards Howard :)

3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,407   +6

I have my TS User Control Panel as my home page :)

4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

I prefer Google, because it loads up very quickly :)

5. Envergure

Envergure TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

I like Google, partly because of Google Maps.

Go to Google Maps, under "Get Directions", and search for directions from "New York City, NY" to "London, England." Then go down to #24! :D

learninmypc likes this.
  6. kitty500cat

:haha: You should start your own poll on how many people followed that advice. I did.

At least Google has a sense of humor (also evident on April Fool's Day) :D

7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

ROFL :haha: That was nice Envergure :D

8. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 625

After a very long time I've been to the altavista site. Its changed alot, they've made it look a bit like Googles homepage.

Google keeps flagging up wikipedia entries when you search, which I find suspicious. If I want to use Wikipedia I could just go to that site. Why does Google keep popping it up?

Any takes on how to get the best results?

9. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,083

I like Google because it is very clean looking. I find live, and yahoo, to cluttered. I also love froogle (recently changed to google products)

10. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +358

I love google, it usually suits my needs (for results) just right...

I could use other engine like yahoo or msn, I know those have got much better in the past couple of years, but on a daily basis I simply don't find myself needing more than one search engine.

11. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

i really don't have a favourite, but after saying that, i do tend to use google more though

12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

Ok I'll chime in rather than just answering the poll. I use google, initially I used it because it was pretty good (looks/simplicity and results), but now I use it just because its my default search engine in my browser, so I don't go to the google page to search anymore. I also found out (for the Opera users) that if you type "g what you are searching for" in the address bar you get google results.

I've tried using google's personalized home page, and while I do like it, I am content with my current home page so its pretty rare that I use it. Yahoo also has a personalized page for me that I've setup, but again I already have a homepage I like so no reason to change.

So basically, I use google because thats what my browser defaults to in the search box.

13. kitty500cat

Actually, from what I've discovered, you don't even need the "g" unless your search query is only one word (in Opera).

14. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

Ooh, neat.

15. Stacey

Stacey TS Rookie Posts: 153

I find that I am always using google, since it is my default.

16. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 483

I use Google, to start, but after about the first 25 results, I start using Yahoo and then MSN because I find that they each offer unique results on a particular topic. Have not been to Alta Vista in a while and will check it out, too, to see if I should start using it. Has anyone used the meta-search engines lately, (e.g., dogpile, mama, etc.?) I know dogpile is still around...

17. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +358

In my case I have configured Firefox so that whatever I type on the address bar becomes a google search, unless it's a full URL, of course. A real time saver a la Opera.

18. kitty500cat

I think that if you're searching for something like a file name, i.e. svchost.exe, it will probably think you're looking for http://svchost.exe/ and try to go there. If you just type in svchost, it will probably append a .com to it. That way you can just type in google and it will bring up http://google.com/.

Firefox is cool too, but I'm used to Opera and don't feel like trying to switch. Then I only use IE for IE-only sites.

19. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Once more... Google is what I use. I used to love Yahoo but I've stopped using it.

20. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 625

I used to use altavista alot about 5 or more years ago. Its a shame really I think that only google gets used and not the others.

Any pros/cons of each search engine?

21. new2thisword

new2thisword TS Rookie

i use google but thats not bcoz its my fav but just that since i've got into comps the only search engine highlighted is the google itself
    i think if others can publicize their products as much as google does then people will start using them as well
    u dont get to hear bout altavista or any other engine as much as u do get to hear bout google
    likethe tool recently launched by them - "google earth" it keeps them in the news n people get to know bout them more
    well i think the credit shud go to google for the hard work they put in to stay ahead of others in the business .... cheers

22. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +17

Bing! Love the pictures that pop up each day :)

23. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,453   +242

Google of course.

24. wizardB

wizardB TS Rookie Posts: 53

Duck Duck Go because unlike the google turds they don't track

25. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,453   +242

IMO, if one don't want to be tracked, you'd have to unplug your pc, get rid of your smartphone & any other internet connected devices you may have.
    Oh, throw out your checkbook & credit cards & pay ONLY in cash. Then you might not be trackable.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.