TechSpot

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR again, and again

By KeeperJones
Aug 2, 2008
  1. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out why my Vista64 machine is crashing fairly regularly. I went through the sticky items and the website mentioned and still have not been able to figure it out. I have switched out the processor, memory, sound card, and hard drive and am still having issues. I have finally setup WinDgb and came up with the read out a full dump below from the debugger. I have no antivirus on this machine and only have the windows firewall. It is basically a fairly fresh install that is not used for anything except as a media machine. There is no events in the log system right before the last BSOD, but there is a WHEA event shortly after reboot that may or may not help is below. I notice a fair amount of these looking back thru the log.

There is also a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT minidump in there too. I am beginning to think it might be an issue with the board.

I am not sure, but I don't think it has ever had a different video card in it and it does have a couple of tuner cards in it.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated

====It looks like my minidump files are not so mini, they are over the attachement size. Below is the main part of a full dump file.====

--------------------------------------

WHEA-logger event:

A corrected hardware error occurred.
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
    Processor ID Valid: Yes
    Processor ID: 0x3
    Bank Number: 0
    Transaction Type: N/A
    Processor Participation: Local node originated the request
    Request Type: Generic Error
    Memory/Io: Memory
    Memory Hierarchy Level: Level 0

WinDbg Results:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
    A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
    source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
    WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000000, MCA_ASSERT
    Arg2: fffffa8004424c6e, Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure
    Arg3: 00000000b6000400, High 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had
    the error
    Arg4: 0000000004080800, Low 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had
    the error

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

WHEA_ERROR_RECORD: !errrec fffffa8004424c6e
    BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
    PROCESS_NAME: System
    CURRENT_IRQL: f
    STACK_TEXT:

. . . . . . .

STACK_COMMAND: kb
    FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
    MODULE_NAME: hardware
    IMAGE_NAME: hardware
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel
    BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel
    Followup: MachineOwner

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +50

Is this a self-build? If so, are the components all in the MS approved-for Vista list? If not, could be the reason, Vista is picky it seems. Alternatives are check for latest bios update, chipset driver updates. Next most likely problem is indeed a fault m/b

3. KeeperJones

KeeperJones TS Rookie Topic Starter

I hate to admit it, but I had not checked for a bios update and of course there was one. It has now been up for a day and a half and it looks like it is good to go. I have built easily a hundred machines, but I have stayed away from Vista until recently. My experience has been that if you have no hardware issues and at least a couple of gigs of memory, then it is not so bad. I agree, Vista is very picky about any issue at all. I fixed the first one I had issues with (memory errors) and now, with your help, I have fixed the second.

Thanks for the reply,

KJ

4. KeeperJones

well . . .

maybe I spoke too fast. Ran great a few days and came back to a boot disk failure. Basically it crashed again. I restarted and there is not even a dump file, full or mini.

It seems like the bios update must have helped, maybe not, but I was crashing once a day before. I was hoping to see something different from a dump file, but not this time. I will keep an eye on it. Until then, if anyone sees anything in the dump file above, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

KJ

5. KeeperJones

so...

Two crashes and no dump. No mini or full. It comes back with a harddrive error, I reset and everything is fine. I am wondering if it is the harddrive controller on the board. I will try the Seagate test tonight. It is a new drive, so maybe I will see something.

No ideas, anyone?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.