When changing motherboard and processor, is XP re-install always required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

I am thinking about helping my friend install a new motherboard and processor while keeping all of the other components he has. I read on another board that you can go the Device Manager and uninstall everything, swap the board and processor, and then when you boot install the correct drivers.

Is this possible? I don't know if his install of XP is OEM or not. If it is, I think a reformat would be necessary with a non-OEM XP disc.

Any thoughts?

mine worked fine when i changed the motherboard and cpu but eventually after backing up my data, i did do a clean installation just to get the kinks out. you dont have to but it is recommended so you can get the most out of your hardware. i did mine backwards for some strange reason, best way would be to backup now and then change the hardware and reinstall.

note my cpu stayed a amd

It could be possible, but I haven't tried it myself with XP, only with Win95/98. It worked with those.

I don't see why the OEM / non-OEM version would make any difference.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I don't see why the OEM / non-OEM version would make any difference.

Well, I tried using my Dell XP install disc on another motherboard and it wouldn't validate it because something about the OEM discs recognizes the original hardware configuration is not there. Therefore, as an 'anti-piracy' measure or to 'safeguard' your information if your hard drive is stolen, they have these locks on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back