Where's my bottleneck?? Video card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trooper_ai

Hi guys,

I've just installed Company of Heroes game and can hardly play it. I've dropped the screen res to 800 x 600 but i still get 4fps. Yes 4!!

The min specs for the game are:

-Windows® XP or Vista
-2.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV or equivalent or AMD Athlon XP or equivalent
-512 MB RAM
-1.7 GB of uncompressed free hard drive space (We recommend having 1 gigabyte of free space after installation)
-DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support or equivalent and latest manufacturer drivers
-DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
-Keyboard, Mouse

Please see my machine specs and let me know what i should do!!

I'm thinking about upgrading the video card to an Nvidia 7600GT?? What would you do?? I've got about £120 ~ US$230 to spend.

Thanks in advance,

Its deffinately your video card. You might also want to upgrade your RAM to at least a gigabyte.

Its deffinately your video card.

I'll second that. The FX5200 is a very low end video card. The entire FX series were not too good :unch:

You might also want to upgrade your RAM to at least a gigabyte.

He already has four 256MB sticks, a total of 1024MB RAM ;)

wolfram said:
The FX5200 is a very low end video card. The entire FX series were not too good :unch:

I have to disagree, I had a fx5200 for about 2 years and it gave me very reasdonable performance. But it is the bottleneck in your system. I do think you should still be able to play the game and get reasonable performance - you should look elsewhere for the cause of the problems perhaps...

But like I said, it may cause the problem althouhg in my humble opinion it doesnt. Wolfram is a more experienced and able computer user than me though, so he may very well be right. I would just look into other causes;)

Regards,

Korrupt

EDIT: If you want a new card regardlesss, I would go for the 7600gt - I have it and it runs anything you throw at it!

korrupt said:
I have to disagree, I had a fx5200 for about 2 years and it gave me very reasdonable performance. But it is the bottleneck in your system. I do think you should still be able to play the game and get reasonable performance - you should look elsewhere for the cause of the problems perhaps...

Well, Company of Heroes is a very hardware-intensive game. But it's playable on a 7300GS for example. But at the lowest quality :( But on a FX5200, probably 64 bit card...
The FX series were not too good, especially if you compare them to the Geforce 6 series... :knock:

And as Korrupt suggested, get the 7600GT, or if you can afford it, a X1900GT would be better.

BTW, What graphical settings are you using for the game? Set it on the lowest ones, and drop the res to 640X480, and you might get more than 4 FPS..

Regards :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back