Which computer degree is right for me?

matrix86

I am currently a church choir director and while I do want to go to school to get a worship arts degree, that career choice brings in no more than 10k a year (some churches, it's strictly a volunteer position). So what else do I like to do? I LOVE working with computers. But I have no idea where to start looking.

I love building computers for people and I love upgrading hardware. I haven't done any hardware troubleshooting, but think that it would be fine as well. I don't really want to design or make hardware, just build and upgrade with it and do troubleshooting. I had considered the possibility of going into networking, but not sure if it's what I really want to do (I have few friends to talk to about it before I make any final decisions on doing either networking or something with hardware...or maybe both?) I like setting up home networks and mapping drives and creating shared folders...now i'm drifting away from my original question, lol.

So, what exactly is the degree I should go for if I go with the hardware option? It'll be a week before I can get to a college to talk to a councilor, and having some idea before I get there will make advisement go MUCH quicker and would be a little more helpful in letting them what it is I would like to do. I'm 23 and don't want to spend the rest of my life making a max of 10k a year and wondering what else I want to do with my life. Thanks for any response!

I am currently reading for a BSc in Communications and Computer Engineering and through experience I can tell you that pursuing a computer engineering degree involves loads of maths and more theoretical work than practice. That is the situation here in Malta at least.

If you are more inclined towards learning by doing I would suggest a technical institute for a higher national diploma. A degree in computing will take you into the details required to design at IC level or learning network protocols and theories and similar stuff.

I would suggest you take a look at the syllabii of the courses you are interested in.

Back