Which games have you played through more than once?

midian182

Staff member

As much as I love video games, I could count on both hands the number I've played through more than once. While many people enjoy replaying titles on higher difficulty levels, or trying different ways of approaching RPGs a second or third time round, I find that it’s often a case of “too many games, not enough time.” I want to play as many as possible, rather than spending another 15 – 100 hours replaying the same ones.

The Witcher 3 is a great example. It’s probably my favorite game of all time, but I couldn’t face replaying through all 150+ hours (with expansions) again, even if it did mean giving Geralt new skills and making different decisions.

There are some exceptions, of course. I completed Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines (my second favorite game) three times just to try the various clans and builds; I simply had to experience the difference between playing as a saintly, if sanctimonious, Jedi and an evil but pretty cool Sith in both Knights of the Old Republic games; and I restart Crysis and Metro: Last Light every time I update my graphics card.

For this Weekend Open Forum, we’re asking which games have you played all the way through more than once, be it for a harder challenge, to experience content you may have missed the first time, or just to test new hardware, whatever. Maybe there’s only been one title, maybe there have been too many to remember, just let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Mole Mania (GB)
Zelda OOT and Majora's mask (N64 + 3DS)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX + GBA)
Halo (Xbox)
Bioshock 2 (PC)

Is the Metro Series that good or is it just really pretty? I've never really paid much attention to the series, but it looks like it could be fun!

Fallout new Vegas
Skyrim
Minecraft (not sure if that really counts..)
Lots of RTS games, but not sure if those count
Final fantasy 7, 9 & 10 (9 because the memory card got corrupted 90% throug the game)
Zone of the Enders
Chrono Cross (have to see all the different endings, right?)

POKEMON GOLD.

Also Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Gothic 1 and 2, Dark Messiah, both KotORs, Baldur's Gate, Super Mario Bros, some GBA titles, probably some NES games. I've also played Morrowind dozens of times, but only actually finished it once.

All of the Bioshock series
All of the Mass Effect series
All of the FEAR series
All of the Crysis series
All of the Dead Space series
Both Metro games
Metroid Prime
RE 4
Half-Life 2
Tomb Raider 2013
Deus EX HR
Wolfenstein New Order
Red Faction: Armageddon
Spec Ops: The Line
Doom 3
???

Last edited:
Noticing how kids play video games in this era, where they have access to many times more games than someone growing in the 90s, 80s, etc. I feel that they would have enjoyed games even more if they had a limited amount of games. I brought a game for my cousin's kid, he was excited, and then he lost interest within the first minute because he lost a round, and wanted to play a new game. His brother wanted to play Mortal Kombat 9. For weeks he had been telling me, and then he was finally in my house. Played it for like ten minutes, and now on to another game. Back in the SNES era, my cousin would come over with a new game, and the focus becomes on passing the game. There would be no situation where because we were not expert on this new game would we stop from trying to beat the game. Even if the game was a crappy game. And that's so much more enjoyable, all due to not having access to many times more game.

That's why I say that playing and beating a game, just go on to the next one, then the next one, and the next one would feel like such a waste of life. You tentatively beat a noobish way, all to move on to the next one and then just forget about the last one. You don't really get anything from that, develop new subtleties and strategies on how to do things better. If you watch speed runs, you realize that there's a whole different, deep world that's mentally awesome. Much more mentally stimulating in a kind of beneficial way.

Castle Wolfenstein, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (and the others in the series)
Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, III, IV, Duke Nukem
Been a long time since I played video games. It was fun in the day, come home
from work, fire up the computer, and the next thing you know, it's 1am, go to bed
up at 6 to go to work. Now, if I'm not in bed before 10pm, my coworkers and customers
don't want to be around me. ;)

Fallout 1, 2, 3 & New Vegas
Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Jagged Alliance 1, 2 & Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Far Cry 1 & 2
Deus Ex

I like 'worlds' with 'story'. Game must not rely on reflexes - haven't had those in decades.

Halo
F.E.A.R
Call of Duty 2

Ever since L4D2 I've really only played online FPS's. I'm not a big fan of playing solo.

All of the age restricted games posted so far, plus...

Shadowman

kotor 1&2

all jediknight/ dark forces

shadows of the empire

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines

Soul reaver 1&2/ blood omen 2

Max pain 1&2

Played through ES IV: Oblivion numerous times... keep on doing it every so often :)

Pretty much every Fifa game since '96 as well as every Civilization game... and Heroes of Might and Magic III....

Oh... And Warcraft 1, 2 and 3... as well as Starcraft

Day of the Tentacle (DOS)
Curse of Monkey Island (DOS)
Full Throttle (DOS)
Duke Nukem 3D (DOS)
Wolfenstein 3D (DOS)
Prince of Persia (DOS)

And three times completed the full 24 hours of Codemasters Le Mans 24Hours (3dfx accelerated game in windows 98) with full realism settings and real-time race.

Only Skyrim, properly. Like, a bazillion times, with a bazillion different mod sets.

Halfway through Mass Effect 3, I realized that I didn't want to play ME3 without having played its predecessors, so I bought the entire series and played from ME1 on - including ME3.

Halfway through Dragon Age Inquisition I also went back and restarted DA:I from scratch, because I didn't like some of my decisions.

On the PC, World of Warcraft (Not that you really finish but you know, Did all the end content while it was still current)

On the Amiga too many to list but Settlers, Turrican 1,2 and 3, New Zealand Story and Paradroid.
(I must have finished Turrican 2 over a dozen times easily) And a high score on Pinball Fantasies of over 4 billion that crashed the game. (I call that a finish)

On the C64, Paradroid.

On the Atari 2600, I don't recall, Many games didn't really end back then they just got harder or rolled round.

Got me wanting to dig my A1200 out and load a few up now :)

Back