Which graphics card should I get for my PC?

Atham

Currently I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200 card. I am thinking about getting a new card, I just don't know which one.

Here are my specifications:

Windows 7 build 7600 32 bit

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor - 2 cores - 2.8GHz

RAM : 4096 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 535.8 MHz (3:8) @ 7-7-7-20

GPU Type : ATI Radeon HD 4200
GPU Clocks : Core 501 MHz / RAM 0 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0

MotherBoard Brand : MSI
MotherBoard Model : 785GM-E51 (MS-7596)
NB : AMD 785G rev 00
SB : AMD SB700 rev 00

My budget, I don't know yet, so could you tell me the price if you know for the cards?

Oh and yes, I live in Slovakia.

Thanks in advance

It would be much more helpful if you could tell us your Power Supply specs. The wattage is the most important part here.

I would recommend this one (nvidia gtx 460) as it offers quite good price to performance ratio and will handle almost all games with moderate settings.

Your processor will bottleneck all high end cards. Don't recommend anything more than a GTX 460.

It would be much more helpful if you could tell us your Power Supply specs. The wattage is the most important part here.

I would recommend this one (nvidia gtx 460) as it offers quite good price to performance ratio and will handle almost all games with moderate settings.

How could I find my PC wattage? And is it strong enough the card to handle Assassins Creed Brotherhood and games similar to that?

For power supply wattage you will have to open the PC to look at the sticker on the side of the power supply. Amps on the 12V rail or rails is important information too.

The GTX 460 is more than adequate for that and similar games.

Depends what size your monitor is and @ what res. I need both of my GTX 470s to max modern games with some AA on my monitor, a 24" 1920x1200. Your CPU and a GTX 460 should run modern games on medium settings. Games that don't require a quad to run well that is.

Crysis 2 fully utilizes four cores and is seemingly unplayable on dual-core processors.

While testing different processors with Call of Duty: Black Ops, it became apparent that quad-core processors offered considerably better performance

Call of Duty: Black Ops can take advantage of four cores and is undoubtedly optimized for the current crop of chips. In fact, the game relies so heavily on all four cores that we found it almost unplayable (OK, that may be exaggerating a bit) on even the fastest dual-core CPU

When we started testing different CPUs with Medal of Honor, it became apparent that the quad-core processors offered considerably better performance.
faster than the dual-core Phenom II X2 555 processor which averaged just 23fps and as a result was unable to deliver playable performance.
From Toms on F1 2010
Apparently, this game is much more dependent on a capable CPU, despite its DirectX 11 engine, which is closely related to DiRT 2. The triple-core Athlon II X3 struggles,
From Legion Hardware/ BC2 Cpu performance:
The CPU plays a vital role in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and it seems quad-cores are the way to go

Hello, if this is a "normal" store-bought computer, then you will need to replace your power supply. I think that this is the case, but please confirm.

Dual core is crap for gaming, but he'll see far more gain from a video card now, before a CPU upgrade.

So should I upgrade my CPU or GPU? And what CPU should I upgrade to.

Anyway, where exactly is the power supply. Sorry, but my skills inside the physical computer are not good.

Oh and what card will be equal to the GTX 460 in ATI?

@ teklord my monitor is 1920 x 1080

First of all, ATI Radeon 4200 is only DirectX10.1.One advantage of this chipset is that you can upgrade in CrossfireX with selected graphic cards from AMD(ATI).For the sake of further upgrades, you shold buy something like AMD Radeon 6670, a model compatible with CrossfireX .
On the other hand, you should easily overclock your processor with FSB from 200MHz to 220MHz,even 230 with no fuss and no need for a special cooler,since the timings of your memory look all-right.Your system was designed for HTPC use, so forget the Nvidia GTX 460 because consumes lots of power and runs very hot and probably you have a small form factor case and not so powerful PSU.
AMD Radeon 6670 by itself is enough for most games, even some Dx11, but in crossfire you'll get a 10-to15% gain in DX 10 games only.It is a 60-70$ upgradewith no need for another PSU or processor.

First of all, ATI Radeon 4200 is only DirectX10.1.One advantage of this chipset is that you can upgrade in CrossfireX with selected graphic cards from AMD(ATI).For the sake of further upgrades, you shold buy something like AMD Radeon 6670, a model compatible with CrossfireX .
On the other hand, you should easily overclock your processor with FSB from 200MHz to 220MHz,even 230 with no fuss and no need for a special cooler,since the timings of your memory look all-right.Your system was designed for HTPC use, so forget the Nvidia GTX 460 because consumes lots of power and runs very hot and probably you have a small form factor case and not so powerful PSU.
AMD Radeon 6670 by itself is enough for most games, even some Dx11, but in crossfire you'll get a 10-to15% gain in DX 10 games only.It is a 60-70$ upgradewith no need for another PSU or processor.

How come GTX 460 would not work? And what about AMD Radeon 6790 or 6850 or more? What is the maximum I can get? Would Radeon HD 6990 work?
I plan playing games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Any card would work, I was suggesting something cheap with good results.Of course even Radeon 6990 will work but for sure you'll need an expensive PSU upgrade and a processor upgrade to Phenom II quad for such a powerful card.I suggest for the existing system, if your PSU supports it a Radeon 6850 or max. Radeon 6870, something more powerful necesitates a MB upgrade, PSU and of course a processor upgrade along with case, eventually. So I suggest to overclock a little your existing processor and use Radeon 6850 or at most 6870
PS: a Radeon 6990 might not fit your case, first check dimensions of the card you want to buy

Any card would work, I was suggesting something cheap with good results.Of course even Radeon 6990 will work but for sure you'll need an expensive PSU upgrade and a processor upgrade to Phenom II quad for such a powerful card.I suggest for the existing system, if your PSU supports it a Radeon 6850 or max. Radeon 6870, something more powerful necesitates a MB upgrade, PSU and of course a processor upgrade along with case, eventually. So I suggest to overclock a little your existing processor and use Radeon 6850 or at most 6870
PS: a Radeon 6990 might not fit your case, first check dimensions of the card you want to buy

So with my current settings max would be 6850, no upgrade or any overclock. And what is a PSU?

It is not a store bought computer. It is different parts put together by a friend of my dad's.

My PSU is about 400 Wattage or 500. Didn't check, but that is what my dad's friend told me.

So can I use the HD 6850. And what type should I choose. I was thinking about the ASUS EAHD6850 Direct CU v2/v1 card. Would it work?

Oh and something just came in mind. Could I work a new ATI card via CrossFireX with my old one?

You need more detailed specs; look up the 12v rail amperage.
I think you have integrated, AFAIK, it won't help much.

Integrated Graphics Card?

No way. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200, and it is build up together from different parts. I will have to look into the PSU and see the details there.

Yeah, just realised as I looked into my PC box. So, can I put another card or swap it somehow?

My PSU is 400 Watts

Here is the picture:

Nope you're stuck with whatever integrated graphics you have, but you can always add a discreet card.

Though you will be replacing your power supply for a 6850.

To help you narrow it down a little bit. Buy an nvidia card. The are the best and need the support from gamers.

Back