TechSpot

Which graphics card...

By robin stevens
Aug 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,
    new member here and I have a question I hope someone can help me with.
    I have just bought a HP Pavillion p6110uk pc that comes as standard with :-
    AMD Phenom-9650
    4gb PC2-6400/DDR2
    640gb GB SATA_3G
    ATI Radeon HD R4350HD 512mb
    Lightscribe DVD

my problem is im looking for a better graphics card that will slip straight in to this and allow me to play games such as gta liberty city which I attempted to play and found the FPS were seriously lacking, I also want to try games like WOW.

can someone suggest a card that won't cost the earth and that will just be a simple swap over?

thanks in advance

2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

3. robin stevens

robin stevens TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the reply slh thats appreciated, would that card also run wow type games or skyrim? I was reading up on the 7770 and prices on fleebay are round the hundred pound mark which is about my limit? I dont want to spend too much but then again dont want to overspend lol

thanks again

4. robin stevens

as a side thought ive seen a used amd radeon hd6450 1gb GDDR 16x pcle for next to nothing money wise, what are your thoughts?

5. slh28

Well if you go for a 7770 it's really recommended that you spend £50 and upgrade the PSU as well. But it's a very good card and you'll get good performance in Skyrim, GTA etc. on high settings. Don't bother with ebay though, you can get a new Ghz edition one for £92 including a free game.

The 6450 is a very slow card...

6. robin stevens

thanks again, PSU, im assuming you mean the power supply? sorry im new to this, do you have a recomendation for that?

7. slh28

Yep, PSU = power supply unit. This one will provide more than enough power for you.

8. robin stevens

thank you very much, lastly, lol I promise this is my last question does that go inside the tower or is it an external unit?

9. slh28

The PSU and graphics card are all internal. Open your case and have a look at your current components

10. robin stevens

ah ok cheers I just wasnt sure, I will take your advice,
    many thanks