Which laptop disk partition for Win10 ISO clean install

rocker11

I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop a year ago. It was loaded with Win 8.1, and I planned to upgrade to Win 10, which I did last month. At the same time I verified that Microsoft had successfully recognized my product key and authorized the upgrade. I downloaded an ISO version of Win 10, with the intention of doing a clean install of Win 10 to remove any vestiges of Win 8.1 and any remaining bloatware.

Last weekend, I attempted to do the clean install of Win 10, and everything went well until I reached the point that I had to specify into which of my 6 partitions on my hard drive I wanted to install the new OS. I had researched this question, and I had decided to keep all of the partitions, since they were rather small (they totaled up to less than 1% of my total 1TB hard drive), and they represented potential means for some type of emergency back-up, restore, etc. that could prove very convenient under some future circumstances. So I selected the partition that had virtually all of the capacity, and was designated OS.

At that point I was surprised to see this message: "Selected disk is of the GPT partition style." It wouldn't let me install the new OS in that partition. I went online on another PC, and I learned that there are only 2 ways I could install the OS on that hard drive. First, I could delete all of the existing partitions and install the OS into the single remaining partition. But I didn't want to lose those partitions, as I mentioned above, and I also didn't want to lose any possible benefits to having the GPT partition. Second, I could further partition that large OS partition into a total of 2, and command the system to put most of the disk capacity in the new partition. But I was concerned about that, too, because I didn't know how much capacity to leave with the existing GPT partition.

So I am writing to find out if there is a more satisfying way for me to identify or create a large partition onto which I could successfully load the new Win 10 ISO OS without affecting anything else.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Laserguy

Dell Inspiron Laptop, model 17548-4271DLV, 15.6" touch screen
Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1)
Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.20 GHz
8 GB RAM
1 TB hard drive, 5400 RPM
Intel HD Graphics 5500 card
Logitech K740 illuminated USB keyboard
Microsoft Office 2003, SP3

My suggestion is not exactly the answer you want......your computer is very well equipped except for one detail. It has a VERY slow (5400 rpm) mechanical hard drive. This would be a very good time for you to replace that hard drive with either a 250 or 500 GB solid state(SSD) drive. Your bios are already set to run your hard drives with the GPT format for security purposes. After you install the replacement SSD the Windows 10 ISO will automatically format the new SSD in GPT format to comply with the bios setting. If you have already installed Windows 10, Microsoft will automatically recognize your computer and activate it without the need to put in an activation key. (Just in case, you should use a program like Belarc Advisor Free to find the Windows 10 activation key and record it in case your new Win10 OS doesn't activate automatically) When done you will be absolutely amazed at how much faster an SSD is compared to the current 5400 rpm mechanical hard drive and you can always attach an external hard drive it the smaller SSD starts to fill up. You can save the old mechanical hard drive in the SSD box for later replacement if you sell or give away the computer or if the SSD fails (unlikely).
If you need instructions on replacing the hard drive, YouTube probably has a video with step by step illustrations.

Back