Which mouse is the best for gaming?

Broeci

Hey,

My mouse just died so I need a new one, but I have no clue what mouse to get. I came of a Gigabyte GM-M6800 so every gaming mouse will be an improvement. I have fairly large hands so a big mouse would be a big plus. I did some research and the roccat kone XTD, cyborg R.A.T 7 and the Razer Lachesis are nice sized mice. But I have no clue which one I should get and which is the most durable.
Help is appreciated.
cheers,

Well, I personally like Logitech. But I have never had a true gaming mouse, but I am planning on building a new PC and have been researching peripherals for the past few months. No luck with a keyboard, but for the mouse I decided that I wanted to get the Razer Deathadder 2013. I would recommend a Logitech G500s, but reviewers say that it isnt much of an improvement over the original G500. The Deathadder 2013 has a braided chord, which makes it more durable. But it isnt a laser mouse. But that isnt a big deal since its 4G sensor is plenty good. Make sure you get the 2013 version, since the older version hasnt been updated since 2006.

Well, I personally like Logitech. But I have never had a true gaming mouse, but I am planning on building a new PC and have been researching peripherals for the past few months. No luck with a keyboard, but for the mouse I decided that I wanted to get the Razer Deathadder 2013. I would recommend a Logitech G500s, but reviewers say that it isnt much of an improvement over the original G500. The Deathadder 2013 has a braided chord, which makes it more durable. But it isnt a laser mouse. But that isnt a big deal since its 4G sensor is plenty good. Make sure you get the 2013 version, since the older version hasnt been updated since 2006.
Ok, thanks. I'll look into it

The 5600 dpi lachesis and RAT 7 both use the Philips twin eye sensor which is quite cool conceptually but it's known to be a poor sensor in general with problems on cloth pads and liftoff distance especially.
The roccat XTD 8200 DPI uses the Avago 9800 I believe which is a pretty good laser sensor, but note that it does have a tiny bit of inherit acceleration.
Optical sensors are usually "better" but laser mice have their advantages too. There are plenty of large sized mice so I'd suggest starting out with what kind of sensor you'd like.

I have big hands and I found my Cooler Master Sentinel to be excellent. It's one of the biggest mice I've seen.

I have big hands and I found my Cooler Master Sentinel to be excellent. It's one of the biggest mice I've seen.
+1 to the storm sentinel advance II. It's my favorite mouse that I've tried so far, and I have average sized hands.

AFAIK the original CM Sentinel uses the Philips twin eye sensor and share the same Z-axis 'issues' as the lachesis 5600 and RAT 7.
The CM Sentinel advance II uses and Avago 9800 which IMO is the best laser sensor available and offers almost perfect performance.

What games do you play Broeci? If you play FPS games, stay with Optical. Laser is fine with everything else. People say laser makes you more accurate in FPS games, but it has other disadvantages.

What games do you play Broeci? If you play FPS games, stay with Optical. Laser is fine with everything else. People say laser makes you more accurate in FPS games, but it has other disadvantages.
Most of the time I play fps games and I play some strategy games

I would take a look at Overclock.net's Mouse Guide. Their guides are phenomenal, especially the mouse and keyboard ones. It is a bit dated (2011), but it gives you an idea about what to look for.

Laser is generally less accurate with the only real advantage that they usually have a much better native DPI selection. Again even the Avago 9800 has a tiny bit of acceleration.
For example the Avago 9800 starts from 200 and moves to 8200 in increments of 200, while most optical will offer something like 400/800/1600.

Optical vs Laser will have to be your own choice after trying them out. I have a laser and it's obviously twitchy at maximum DPI, but I've not used more than half and have not noticed any jittering. Some people can't stand lasers though and won't use them.

But I don't think you have to worry so much and the CM Sentinel 2 will be a good choice :)

I would take a look at Overclock.net's Mouse Guide. Their guides are phenomenal, especially the mouse and keyboard ones. It is a bit dated (2011), but it gives you an idea about what to look for.
I read the whole thing and I must say it was very interesting to read. So basically I am looking for a Mouse with a: high polling rate, optical sensor and it has to be wired. But the problem nowadays is that most mice have laser sensors and just a few have optical sensors. The deathadder has a optical one, but it is just too small for my hand.

Laser is generally less accurate with the only real advantage that they usually have a much better native DPI selection. Again even the Avago 9800 has a tiny bit of acceleration.
For example the Avago 9800 starts from 200 and moves to 8200 in increments of 200, while most optical will offer something like 400/800/1600.

Optical vs Laser will have to be your own choice after trying them out. I have a laser and it's obviously twitchy at maximum DPI, but I've not used more than half and have not noticed any jittering. Some people can't stand lasers though and won't use them.

But I don't think you have to worry so much and the CM Sentinel 2 will be a good choice :)
haha probably, I've used my $20 Gigabyte GM-M6800 for 2 years and it has just worked fine for me, so the CM Sentinel 2 or a optical mouse as JC713 suggested would be still an huge improvement.(y)

The Logitech G700 seems pretty large. My friend just got one and he says he likes it. I havent seen it in person so I cannot tell you how large it is but it does seem pretty large. The new G700s is about the same, it just has a coating that helps combat sweaty hands. Make sure the cord is braided since non-braided cords can break without you even knowing if you tug just a little past its normal length. That said, stay away from the Logitech G100(s)-G500(s) since they arent braided.

Here is an example of a braided chord if you do not know what I am talking about:
2.jpg

FYI the CM Sentinel2 has a screen on it. DPI can be changed in increments of 10DPI, independent of axis, on the fly. It has 5 modes with about four DPI presets per mode, so you can save around 20 combinations.

It's... amazing.

DPI settings that are not 200 - 8200 in multiples of 200 are software implemented and aren't native DPI. Neither is independent x/y DPI, it's software scaled.

DPI settings that are not 200 - 8200 in multiples of 200 are software implemented and aren't native DPI. Neither is independent x/y DPI, it's software scaled.
:O

The mouse does this without any software installed too, must use on-board controller to scale..?

I havent really used any mice other than Logitech. I dont really trust CM, but I am willing to try them along with Steelseries and Razer.

:O

The mouse does this without any software installed too, must use on-board controller to scale..?
I think I needed software to change my CM SA2 out of the set DPI increments. Once you set the four levels that you like, the settings are stored on the mouse so you can use it on multiple computers without trouble.

Looking at the Sentinel Advance 2 software, the DPI is changed in increments of 200 by the slider, but you can manually type in increments of 10. Not that DPI is super important IMO. I usually just use a setting in the 600-1600 range and use in-game settings to fine tune the sensitivity. I've never have (nor will, probably) go anywhere near the 8200 DPI maximum, that shiz is crazy!

The CM software is superb as well. You can pretty easily record macros and customize buttons, and you can do a butt-load of other stuff like rapid fire and such. You can also change the 5 profiles on the fly and use them on other PC's as well. And the colours change. That sealed the deal for me :p

I think I needed software to change my CM SA2 out of the set DPI increments. Once you set the four levels that you like, the settings are stored on the mouse so you can use it on multiple computers without trouble.

Looking at the Sentinel Advance 2 software, the DPI is changed in increments of 200 by the slider, but you can manually type in increments of 10. Not that DPI is super important IMO. I usually just use a setting in the 600-1600 range and use in-game settings to fine tune the sensitivity. I've never have (nor will, probably) go anywhere near the 8200 DPI maximum, that shiz is crazy!
Yeah that sounds right. Just note that DPI that isn't a multiple of 200 is not native to the sensor and is implemented using software scaling, as is independent x/y DPI. Generally not really something you want to use. And yeah I think most people will use something less than 2000 DPI.

Don't know about #2, but #1 definitely allowed at least 200 DPI increment on-the-fly changing. It's pretty good - if none of your profiles are JUST right for your BF3 game, just use the buttons and scroll to slightly adjust while waiting for respawn. :p

If people are curious, I use something like 1800 on desktop, 2400 on FPS, 3600 sometimes depending on FPS (or if in a tank for example), 5200 DPI for fast-paced stuff like LoL.

Back