Which of these PC's would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is in the wrong forum, blame the welcome wagon. ;)

In the red corner:

Features for this HEWLETT PACKARD M7635.UK

- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400
- 2 x 2.13GHz, 1GHz FSB, 2MB Cache
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
- 2GB DDR RAM
- 400GB Hard Disk Drive
- Dual Layer DVD ReWriter Drive
- 512MB ATI Radeon X1600SE Graphics
- Built-in TV Tuner + Remote Control
- 802.11g Wireless Network Ready
- 15-in-1 Media Card Reader

And in the blue corner:

Features for this HEWLETT PACKARD 7755

# Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600
# 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
# Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
# 2GB DDR RAM
# 400GB Hard Drive
# DVD Rewriter Drive
# 256MB nVidia GeForce 7500LE Graphics
# Built-in TV Tuner + Remote Control
# Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
# 15-in-1 Media Card Reader

What sells me on the first one is that it's XP. I'm very comfortable with XP, it's served me well, and I'm not too keen on switching to Vista, not least because of any potential compatibility issues with the games and software I have. The second one, however, does have the lure of a slightly faster machine and nVidia, which I feel comfortable with because it's a familiar name and I know I'm getting something good with it.

Something that has me curious is the 2 x 2.13GHz, 1GHz FSB, 2MB Cache with the first PC and the 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache with the second one. Is there something significant with one having 2 processors over the singular processor of the other?

I likely won't be playing any high-end or intensive games, but I'd still like know that the computer I'm getting can still play them well if the need arises.

If I was forced to choose right now, I would go for the former one because I'd rather go with XP even though the graphics card is from a company I'm not that familiar with and I tend to veer towards the bigger name because I feel more confident in their product.

All things being equal, what would you choose and why? Reassure me the former is the one for me, or convince me that I should take the Vista plunge and go for the latter. I'm on the fence right now, and would appreciate feedback that would guide me either way.

Both processors are dual core so they are about even, but I do like the E6600 better than the E6400 simply because it's faster and has twice the L2 cache. The geForce 7500LE just plain sucks as a 3D accerator while the X1600 is about three times as powerful but still isn't anything to brag about. I'd buy the E6600 and then plan to purchase a new video card and operating system. How much are you planning on spending on this computer because it's very possible to cobble together for you a computer that would meet or beat a combination of the best parts of the 7635 and the 7755 for usually just a little more money.

Cinders said:
How much are you planning on spending on this computer because it's very possible to cobble together for you a computer that would meet or beat a combination of the best parts of the 7635 and the 7755 for usually just a little more money.
The cost of these computers is around £560, or $1100, each.

Build one, then it will have all the features that you like.

As helpful a suggestion as that is, it's an option not open to me.

Given the options you listed I would go for the 1st system, even though the processor is slightly slower. The GPU is better, XP right now still seems to be a better choice and you won't really notice any difference regarding the processor.

The XP operating system is still the best to run. I haveXP PRO & Vista also, but keep waiting for freeware that will work on it (Vista). Games that will, (there is a directX10 version of "Lost Planet"). That's not enough. If you don't want to build, go with an XP machine. Do a little research about processors, memory config., everything. Study and get the best hardware that you can. One advantage to buying a machine with XP installed: you usually get a price break or are able to wangle a better equipped machine. Go with Intel duo core (best you can) and an Nvidia graphics card. Good Luck.

nickslick74 said:
Given the options you listed I would go for the 1st system, even though the processor is slightly slower. The GPU is better, XP right now still seems to be a better choice and you won't really notice any difference regarding the processor.
How noticeable would the difference in processor speed actually be?

...and an Nvidia graphics card. Good Luck.

Is it that much better than an ATI Radeon card? If the differences are significant, I can go for the first option and upgrade the card.

As a general question, what are the differences between a ATI Radeon and a Nvidia product? I tend to hear more talk about Nvidia than ATI Radeon, so I'm not too clued in on how well the latter one works.

Thanks.

nVidia is the reigning video card speed king at the moment. "Speed king" does not make nVidia better than ATI, just faster. ATI was purchased by AMD a maybe a year ago and is struggling to retake the top spot again. Their last performance video card offering the HD2900XT was expected to eat nVidia's top card for breakfast based on it's specifications but for the most part the benchmarks and reviews have been disappointing. Having the fastest video card means having the biggest ePenis or at least a bigger ePenis.

A mid performance card you can afford from either manufacture would be a good choice. Both manufactures have their fan boys and this website is a difficult place to get a moderate opinion because most of us are computer "enthusiasts" which means we'd sell our mothers into slavery for a new computer. :D It would have to be a good computer though!

NVIDIA and ATi are both good GPU makers. Regarding the GPUs of the PCs in question though, the first system's GPU is much better than the second's. I'd recommend looking at the Dell Inspiron 531 DT (DV09517A) though, since it comes with a better video card and although it comes with an AMD X2, that should be plenty for your needs. I assume both the HP PCs are without monitors? If so, the Inspiron without monitor costs significantly lesser. Check it out and see if you like it.

Thanks for the feedback. I have decided to go with the first computer, because of the XP factor. I will upgrade to a better graphics card later if the ATI one doesn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back