TechSpot

Which of these two cards are better?

By Calliah
May 29, 2005
  1. Hi everyone!
    I'm new to the boards, and I just need some help figuring out which card I should go with. I have currently in my system a Radeon 9100 PCI card with 128 MB RAM. Its worked well for me, but I know its limitations. My brother just got a new laptop, so I took his old computer for parts, etc. He has a GeForce 4 MX440-8x with 64 MB RAM, and its an AGP card. Should I bother installing the GeForce card, or will the performance be about the same?

If it matters, I currently have
    P4 processor at 3.0E GHz, 800 MHz system bus
    1 gig of Corsair TwinX XMS memory
    A-bit IS-10 motherboard with an AGP slot at 4x/8x
    It also has a 400W power supply in it, so power shouldn't present a problem.
    Calliah

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Performance might be more or less the same but that GF4MX doesn't even support DX8 features such as Pixel & Vertex shaders. Might as well stick with the 9100.

3. shadow_29

shadow_29 TS Rookie Posts: 252

dont even bother with the geforce mx440,even a geforce 3 surpasses it in terms of performance.its based on the geforce 2 mx series,the card doesnt have even true hardware direct x8 support,no pixel/vertex shader.a lot of games out there not even carry a "not supported" or "except mx series" only to describe that all the other cards are supported except this one(really p***es a lot people off).for the sort of system that you've got(highend) they would create a huge bottleneck for your system get a good geforce 6 series card to match your system well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.