Which one to go for : 17" or 19" LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I need to decide between purchasing 17" and 19" LCD monitors. Cost is not the concern. I would use it for office applications, programming etc. The source of confusion is that both of them have the same resolution 1280x1024. So theoritically, 19" would be more pixelated ( or would have bigger pixels) compared to 17".

Bigger pixels => less pleasing text?

Could the owners of those monitors share their experiences on this.

thanks!

I have to admit, you have stumped me as far as being able to provide a good explanation as to WHY.... (the first step is admitting ;) )

But a 19" monitor does not lose any clarity. Mine has brilliant color and textures. The detail is amazing.

Going from a 17" to a 19" was just as big an upgrade for me as going from a 15" to a 17". Once you have made the leap, you can never go back.

Well, which has the higher contrast ratio? imo pick the one that supports the higher refresh rate. Trust me, you dont want to be stearing at a 19" lcd all day refreshing at 60hz, it will kill your eyes.

I've got a 17" right now, although my 20" widescreen dell is on the way. I think the extra physical space makes a difference, i mean the pixels are so small on the monitors these days that your eyes are ususally the one that struggles rather than the actual monitor, and with a larger display you can be more accurate where you place things and get a bigger overall picture, all in all, i would say go for the 19"

I just made the switch to LCD with a 19" ViewSonic VX924. It's awesome.
Images in PhotoShop look like glossy posters. I can't see the pixels.

Sean said:
imo pick the one that supports the higher refresh rate. Trust me, you dont want to be stearing at a 19" lcd all day refreshing at 60hz, it will kill your eyes.
Really? LCD displays don't use a cathode ray tube.

Thanks Guys for your inputs. i have decided to go with Dell ultrasharp 1905FP. As far as refresh rate is concerned, it supports 1280 x 1024 at 75hz and that is quite good.

I will have more to share with you when I get the monitor. I shall be ordering it today!!

Refresh rates don't really apply to LCD monitors like they to with CRT monitors. With an LCD, the pixel response time is much more important (the lower the better).

Don't worry about the monitor being pixelated. For example, TVs before the HD generation usually have a resolution of 640x480 and the screens are obviously MUCH larger than computer monitors. Even though they SHOULD be more pixelated, you don't really notice it. Besides, 17" and 19" is not THAT big a size dif. so don't worry about the pixelation. Go with one that has a fast response time. Go for the 19" if price isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back