Which processor can I install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. I recently got a new motherboard (considering to the one I am using now), it is the MSI P4N SLi Intel Edition (MS-7160v2.0). In the beginning I believed that I could install a Dual Core Pentium, however when I visited MSI's site I was dissapointed. The reason is that this mainboard doesn' t support this type of proccessor (I was ready to see only that it doesn' t support Core 2 Duo). I can't upload a link, so when you go to MSI webpage press 7160 in the search box.
I would like to ask something else. I found in an on-line shop this model: Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz, A, 95W). In the link there is a NOTE about this model, and I want you to tell me if this mainboard can take that one. Actually, it is the only one available in the Greek shops (forgot to mention that I am Greek).

I would like to apologise for asking so many things (maybe you got tired by that). I am waitting anxsiously for your help.

Upgrading my processor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, my name is John

I too would like to know how to upgrade my processor. I have an HP desktop, HP Pavilion a1020n with an Intel Pentium 4 Processor. I just recently added 2 GB of ram to it so now I have a total of 2.5 GB of ram. I also bought a 500 GB external hard drive. But overall, my cpu usage is still running at 100% when I run a few programs. I'm considering buying an Intel dual core 2 processor (the fastest one on the market) to upgrade my cpu, but I am not sure if this could be possible.

So my question is, how would I know what mobo I have and all the other information necessary for a processor upgrade?

Thanks.

Laouda

I found in an on-line shop this model: Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz, A, 95W). In the link there is a NOTE about this model, and I want you to tell me if this mainboard can take that one.

According to the specs your motherboard can support that CPU

• Supports Socket 775 for Intel® P4, P4EE, Pentium D, Pentium XE and Celeron D processors.
• Supports Intel® 05B and 05A processors
• Supports FSB 1066/800 MHz
• Supports Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology

j_capistrano

So my question is, how would I know what mobo I have and all the other information necessary for a processor upgrade?.

The information you need can be found on HP's website.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&product=459880&dlc=en

Thanks Tuan, I appreciate the reply.

The link really helped a lot, now I know all the info I need for a processor upgrade. Would you know any specific intel dual core processors that I can buy that would work on my pc? If you do, I'd like the link for that as well.

Thanks again.

Would you know any specific intel dual core processors that I can buy that would work on my pc? If you do, I'd like the link for that as well.

Your desktop basically supports these types of CPUs

CPU/Processor

* Socket: LGA775
* Supports processor up to 3.4 GHz
* Supports Intel Pentium 4 HT processors

I usually shop on www.newegg.com which often has great deals on CPUs.

I narrow the search to only show LGA755 processors. Depending upon your price range/budget, any of these processors will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343 1051707842&name=LGA 775

Thanks, this helps a lot. Now if I buy a processor with less GHZ than what I already have on my pc, will that make it slower? Or will it not matter? I just don't wanna get one that might slow down my pc or keep it at the same speed.

Not necessarily, there are numerous factors that come into play which determines the overall performance/speed of a computer. Assuming you have Pentium4 519 (P) 3.06 GHz w/533 MHz Front side bus, you can purchase a slightly slower CPU(say 2.4 GHz) with faster FSB (1033 GHz) and it'll run a little faster. The easiest/cheapest method to increase performance is to basically add more memory (RAM)

FSB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus
GHZ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate

What is your price range?

I'm willing to pay anywhere from $300 to $500. Do you think this one will really benefit my pc?

$324.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9450 - Retail
1x Winner of Customer Choice Award - Processors - Desktops
Processors Type: Desktop
Series: Core 2 Quad
FSB: 1333MHz
L2 Cache: 12MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Threading Support: No
Virtualization Technology Support: Yes
Model #: BX80569Q9450
Item #: N82E16819115042
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Thats a great CPU however I believe you limited by your FSB since your motherboard supports up to 800Mhz (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Another thing to take into consideration is your computer usage.

What do you mostly use your computer for?

I use it mostly for the internet, downloading movies and songs, playing games, converting movies to dvd format, watching movies, etc. So with my processor that I use now my computer usage is usually in the 100% range, which is why I want to upgrade it. However, I've recently added 2GB of ram so I now have a total of 2.5GB, and I also bought a 500GB external hard drive so storage isn't a problem for me. I just want to be able to run big programs at once without my computer having to lag because I've seen some videos on youtube of other people's upgraded processors and they work really fast. These are usually dual cores as well.
Anyways, if you think this one won't work for my computer can you suggest one that will, performance wise?

Thanks.

Thanks. newegg's can deliver to Canada right? because I live in Ontario. Or will it be more expensive if I ship it over? If it is, do you think BestBuy or maybe futureshop might have this processor?

I'm not sure, but you should check newegg's shipping policy to see if they do ship to different countries. I've never seen CPU at BestBuy (probably b/c I never paid attention). As far as futureshops, I've never heard store of that name. I'm pretty confident Fry's has these, is there a Fry's Electronics in Ontario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back