Which Router is the Best: Netgear R7900, Linksys EA8300 or Netgear R7000p

If all three of these routers were the same cost, which one would you recommend as the overall best?

Netgear R7900
Linksys EA8300
Netgear R7000p

It's confusing to me because the R7900 aka the Nighthawk X6 looks impressive and has the highest theoretical speed as an AC3000 router, but it is older than the others by several years and lacks Mu-Mimo. Meanwhile the Linksys EA8300 seems like a mid-range router for that brand but has a quad core processor as opposed to the dual core processor of the two Netgears.

I can't find any direct comparisons of any of these routers online so I'm hoping you can help with the decision. Which one would you get again, if they were all the same price.

THANK YOU!

Main advantage of the Linksys EA8300 and Netgear R7000p is the Airtime fairness feature. This reduces transmits to poor connections thus allowing for more physical frames to pass the gateway equally across all connections. If your ISP WAN speed is not 1Gbps or higher then the speed of the router is not that big of a deal on the wireless side. Other than that these two are almost the same router and the choice should be based on the best deal in price. Processor and max throughput only need to be taken into consideration if you are actually transferring a large amount of data on the LAN. Is there some other feature you want to go over?

Thanks Gabriel, I appreciate the quick reply. Due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals all of these routers were essentially the same price. I actually bought all three and now will return the two that don't make the cut based on your feedback and any other feedback I receive in this thread.

I have an xbox that will be hardwired into it, so my considerations are really: speed, range and reliability. I also have a hard drive that I'll connect to it (not wirelessly). With those factors in mind, and knowing that the price is essentially the same, which do you think is the best router overall?

I have worked with both at customer locations. I would get the Netgear because the interface is super easy to use and set up. The Linksys is a good router but has a slightly more difficult interface. Also the Netgear can be managed from the app and has full support for electronic assistant technologies. I would go with the Nighthawk for these reasons.

I've always gone with Netgear products and the Nighthawk is a good product. IMO, never choose a product that appears to give a minute theoretical performance advantage, as YOUR actual performance is highly likely to be different. I've always gone with the product that was clearly documented and easily configured.

Thanks Gabriel, I appreciate the quick reply. Due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals all of these routers were essentially the same price. I actually bought all three and now will return the two that don't make the cut based on your feedback and any other feedback I receive in this thread.

I have an xbox that will be hardwired into it, so my considerations are really: speed, range and reliability. I also have a hard drive that I'll connect to it (not wirelessly). With those factors in mind, and knowing that the price is essentially the same, which do you think is the best router overall?
Neither of them. There are better out there.
I was like jo and say Netgear but the best gaming router is now the Linksys WRT 32x. Thing is a beast. By far beats out my 2 Nighthawks I had previously, the X4 and X4S.
The Linksys easily beats both out when it comes to setup. Was like 5mins. Fastest ive ever dealt with and the easiest menu ive ever seen. Simple n easy to use. It's a no nonsense menu and ive liked both Netgear and Linksys menus in the past, this beats out all of them.

If I talk about my personal experience then I would go with the Netgear Router because anyone can use its interface because its to easy and one more thing is that you can setup these router by using its amazing app Nighthawk Formerly Up.

The app is very limited outside of basic setup. All the good settings you need are in the router. The Linksys WRT 32x gaming router is even easier to setup n no app is needed.

Back