TechSpot

Which type of Socket did Intel's Pentium 4 employ before the 478?

By hdmk
Mar 23, 2002
  1. Ok, this might be a bit obvious, but what was it? I'm a bit new at this..:eek:
    What was it?

Thanks.

2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

423? I could be wrong...Why do you ask?

3. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

4. hdmk

hdmk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 150

It's an answer for a question I've been asked - no big deal. Thanks, for the reply. :)

5. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

423 if I am correct too. Thats a dying horse as we speak. And there are talks of doing away with 478 too I believe.

6. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

Ah, but that sweetheart deal; all the Gateways & DeLLs w/ the P4 & *ntel mobo's.

7. T-Shirt

T-Shirt TS Rookie Posts: 329

There was some talk of the new celeron being a 423 pin special.
    Fortnatly, it's not true. I know they like to segment (fragment) the product line, but it makes more sense to make them all fit the 478 socket. Then if you're on a budget (who isn't!?) you buy a good MB/ram setup w/ a cele this year next year you buy an improved CPU.
    seems to make more sense to allow a constant more ferquent upgrade path, then forcing you in to a total upgrade (and the chance to change platform) a few years apart.

8. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Yes what you say is true and logical. But how many times has Intel NOT changed mid stream with a new configuration in slots, sockets, pins, and so forth. I am glad I jumped on the AMD wagon when it went thru my area !!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.