Which type of Socket did Intel's Pentium 4 employ before the 478?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmk

Ok, this might be a bit obvious, but what was it? I'm a bit new at this..:eek:
What was it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by hdmk
It's an answer for a question I've been asked - no big deal. Thanks, for the reply. :)

423 if I am correct too. Thats a dying horse as we speak. And there are talks of doing away with 478 too I believe.

originally quoted by uncleel
Intels problems are well documented.
* Recall of i820 Camino Chipset
* Recall of initial cC0 1.13Ghz Processor
* Backing of RAMBUS
* Keeping Celeron at 66Mhz FSB until "it was too late"
* Release of P4 in a temporary socket (423 pga) 423 vs 478
* Fact that P4 is decimated by even P3 in a Mhz for Mhz battle

Ah, but that sweetheart deal; all the Gateways & DeLLs w/ the P4 & *ntel mobo's.

Originally posted by boeingfixer

423 if I am correct too. Thats a dying horse as we speak. And there are talks of doing away with 478 too I believe.
There was some talk of the new celeron being a 423 pin special.
Fortnatly, it's not true. I know they like to segment (fragment) the product line, but it makes more sense to make them all fit the 478 socket. Then if you're on a budget (who isn't!?) you buy a good MB/ram setup w/ a cele this year next year you buy an improved CPU.
seems to make more sense to allow a constant more ferquent upgrade path, then forcing you in to a total upgrade (and the chance to change platform) a few years apart.

Yes what you say is true and logical. But how many times has Intel NOT changed mid stream with a new configuration in slots, sockets, pins, and so forth. I am glad I jumped on the AMD wagon when it went thru my area !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back