Who needs a GoPro when you have an iPhone 6 twirling overhead?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

When you think of awesome action sports videos, the name GoPro immediately comes to mind. For professional skier Nicolas Vuignier from Switzerland, the 120FPS of a GoPro simply wasn't fast enough for his needs so he turned to an unlikely sports camera – an iPhone 6.

Over the last two years, Vuignier has been working on a rig that would allow him to twirl his iPhone overhead as he skis down a snow-covered mountain. Details on the rig – which The Next Web says he custom 3D-printed – are lacking but the results are absolutely mesmerizing. The use of slow motion combined with the background music only add to the awesomeness.

The publication said Vuignier plans to provide a 3D printing template soon for anyone that wants to try it themselves.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

My HP Gaming laptop. $830. If I had it to do over again I probably would not purchase it this time around. Not a huge regret but I could do without.

Shawn, do you even realize what the iPhone camera specs are? The article doesn't make much sense.

And? Did you check the resolution and bit depth? My 2010 sony camera does 240fps as well. The quality sucks.
and anything further than FPS doesnt matter because its not the point of the article or the objective of the article to mention...

And? Did you check the resolution and bit depth? My 2010 sony camera does 240fps as well. The quality sucks.
and anything further than FPS doesnt matter because its not the point of the article or the objective of the article to mention...

The point of this article seems to be that even an iPhone can be used as a sports camera. It's not a very good point though because as it has been said, the iPhone's isn't really designed for it and will easily be beaten by a GoPro. In addition, he needed to 3d print the rig to hold the iPhone, the cost of which likely exceeds the usefulness of the item itself. It's like buying an expensive dress for a pig and taking it to the ball. It's great that you can get enjoyment out of that sort of thing but that doesn't make it any better of a situation. The right tools for the right job.

The point of this article seems to be that even an iPhone can be used as a sports camera. It's not a very good point though because as it has been said, the iPhone's isn't really designed for it and will easily be beaten by a GoPro. In addition, he needed to 3d print the rig to hold the iPhone, the cost of which likely exceeds the usefulness of the item itself. It's like buying an expensive dress for a pig and taking it to the ball. It's great that you can get enjoyment out of that sort of thing but that doesn't make it any better of a situation. The right tools for the right job.

The thing that makes the GoPro a good sports camera is that it's cheap so you can replace it easily if and when it brakes. I don't know who has enough money to start breaking iPhones.

This is mostly has to do with Shawn being a big fan of Apple products. If anyone feels like digging up the editorial he did on the Apple life he's living you'll see what I mean.

And all that said, I'm not knocking Apples products, I'm just so disgusted by their business practices that I refuse to buy anything from them.

The thing that makes the GoPro a good sports camera is that it's cheap so you can replace it easily if and when it brakes. I don't know who has enough money to start breaking iPhones.

This is mostly has to do with Shawn being a big fan of Apple products. If anyone feels like digging up the editorial he did on the Apple life he's living you'll see what I mean.

And all that said, I'm not knocking Apples products, I'm just so disgusted by their business practices that I refuse to buy anything from them.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

iPhone's break playing lawn bowls when in the pocket of a senior citizen, not sure how they could be used for action sports.

Just a shame it is spoiled by looking like you are trying to lasso cattle.
Novel bespoke tool he's created with the iPhone though.

I don't know if you checked the prices of the top of the line unit, it's $700, or about the same price as the iPhone 6, if anything the GoPro could take the abuse where as the iPhone certainly cannot making your logic even more flawed.

Then somebody could have compared the actual specs of a GoPro Hero 4 Black and see that in fact this makes even less sense... "Capturing 4K Ultra HD video and liquid-smooth slow motion at up to 240 frames per second" so in my eyes the GoPro has the better camera no matter how you look at it... Fine the iPhone can capture at up to 240 FPS as well, but it's not going to have the same degree of image stabilization, or overall quality in general.

People need to do more homework before, Nicolas Vuignier in particular, he could have saved himself a lot of time and grief had he simply bought the Hero 4 Black, but this is exactly why GoPro is going out of business, people are using inferior devices to get the job done adequately.

I don't know if you checked the prices of the top of the line unit, it's $700, or about the same price as the iPhone 6, if anything the GoPro could take the abuse where as the iPhone certainly cannot making your logic even more flawed.

Fine the iPhone can capture at up to 240 FPS as well, but it's not going to have the same degree of image stabilization, or overall quality in general.
Do you mean external stabilization as the GoPro series features no internal stabilization as far as I am aware, whereas the iPhone 6 has digital image stabilization, Not sure what it can do when you are spinning it around your head on a length of rope, I'm guessing nothing :)

Back